Discuss End of halogen light bulbs spells brighter and cleaner future in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Midwest

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Not been on here a lot recently, so don’t know if this has been posted. I know this subject has been discussed before, but here is the final demise of halogen and fluorescent tubes in the UK, it seems in all but a few places.

Its also says;

Today’s plans also include a ban from September on the sale of lighting fixtures with fixed bulbs that can’t be replaced – meaning the fixtures have to be thrown away. Fixtures such as these account for 100,000 tonnes of electrical waste every year – out of a total 1.5 million tonnes of electrical waste each year.

The end of sealed can down lights?

Its also says;

Today’s plans also include a ban from September on the sale of lighting fixtures with fixed bulbs that can’t be replaced – meaning the fixtures have to be thrown away. Fixtures such as these account for 100,000 tonnes of electrical waste every year – out of a total 1.5 million tonnes of electrical waste each year.

The end of sealed can down lights?
I'd interpret that to also mean a ban on all the other integrated fittings I often install - e.g. the emergency bulkheads with a strip of LEDs, the round Polo and similar style bulkheads with a hinged plate full of LEDs. If this really were true, it will be a nightmare for manufacturers. Possibly it is just ill-thought-out wording of the announcement and is meant to only apply to some fittings such as downlight cans?

I’ve yet to trawl through the gov document, but it does look like seal cans will be banned. I know JCC have one down light where the lamp can be replaced @telectrix favourite.

I note it refers to households use, but also refers to limitations to theatres etc.

In my work premises, we have hundreds of sealed units. You would of thought there was scope for obtaining replacements as part of a redundancy replacement.

trouble with LED fittings is it's not the LEDs that fail, it's the drivers. so an integrated downlight with a driver separate to the can holding the "bulb" is serviceable by replacing the driver.

if all this is to be believed, we'll be back to gas lighting. ahhhh, gas is being banned also. time to stock up on oil lamps. be plenty oil available when petrol and diesel vehicles are banned. even then, plenty of trees to chop down for firewood. then with no trees, global warming imminent, circle complete.

All the reporting I have read so far focuses on the ban of halogen bulbs - the government announcement also mentions "high-energy fluorescent lightbulbs"... I am not sure what they mean by that, if it were all fluorescents as the Mirror seems to suggest, that would be a bigger story.
They all major on moving away from these to LEDs, but on mentioning the lighting fixtures with fixed bulbs miss the contradiction that this applies to a large percentage of LED fittings, which would be a bigger story still! That surely would have been mentioned in industry news before now? So I am inclined to think it doesn't apply to LEDs. Does anyone have a link to any more technical information released by the government? (Midwest mentions a gov document)

Certainly not clear information being given out to consumers - if we are confused by the announcement, how are the general public supposed to know?

Incidentally I read a while back that some halogens that don't have direct LED replacements are excluded.

As SJD, There must be some limitations to the sale on non replaceable LED lights as currently almost all LED lights including all external floodlights do not have removeable lamps and I can't say that I've seen any for sale currently that do have them.

If it is to apply to all, then there will have to be millions of different types of LED drivers and LED strip / circles / odd shaped units available as spares.
And it will limit the number of different light units available in the U.K, but probably not in the rest of World.

And as with a lot of consumer goods the spare parts will cost more and be harder to get than a complete new unit, so people will still throw away the new type unit with replaceable laps and drivers.

I've got many LED lights with fixed LEDS, none use the same components.

Last edited:
Don't forget the environmental impact of offices being forced to throw out all their fluorescent fittings because they can't get replacement tubes.
As usual, poorly thought out, rushed through, garbage.

Don't forget the environmental impact of offices being forced to throw out all their fluorescent fittings because they can't get replacement tubes.
As usual, poorly thought out, rushed through, garbage.

I have seen quite a few old lights retro fitted with LED tubes

Think I've found the answer to the replaceable light source.
It's in the original E.U proposed legislation which presumably is what the U.K version is based on.
The clip I've posted below defines Light Source.

It excludes LED chips and packages and also some film and T.V lighting,

HL R7 halogens will remain available on the market, and some fluorescents such as T5s.

Exemptions will be in place for lamps designed and marketed specifically for scene-lighting use in film studios, TV studios, and photographic studios, or for stage-lighting use in theatres or other entertainment events.

Light source definition.PNG

Think I've found the answer to the replaceable light source.
It's in the original E.U proposed legislation which presumably is what the U.K version is based on.
The clip I've posted below defines Light Source.

It excludes LED chips and packages and also some film and T.V lighting,

HL R7 halogens will remain available on the market, and some fluorescents such as T5s.

Exemptions will be in place for lamps designed and marketed specifically for scene-lighting use in film studios, TV studios, and photographic studios, or for stage-lighting use in theatres or other entertainment events.

View attachment 86514
I did wonder, the article makes a clear distinction to replaceable “bulbs” and an LED chip isn‘t a “bulb” in the traditional sense. Some are packaged into familiar “bulb” shapes, but the actual light source is still a chip.

On a separate note “bulbs” get planted; “lamps” get replaced :D

Reply to End of halogen light bulbs spells brighter and cleaner future in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net