Discuss Energy Saving GU10's in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

adam.h

Where is the best place to get some and which ones?

I have seen some led ones at work in a lift and the lighting is very poor. Been looking into the cfl ones,and they seem to be the way forward. Want to eventually replace all the down lights at home to energy saving ones. There are about 40!!!!! Want to have 50w equivalent so they need to be bright.

As for layout, am I the only one who thinks they need to be less than a meter apart?

There are some really good LED GU10's on the market these days, philips do some good ones. The advantages LED have over CFL is a) they last longer, b) cost less to run c) they come on bright instantly unlike the CFL type. I'm sure you can now get a 50W equivalent LED lamp, but they do cost a fair bit.

You can get both CFL and LED in either warm white or cool white (the one with the blueish tinge)

My pennies worth - LED's can do it but for an equivilant output (5W LED) you will pay around £15-£20. 3W are circa a tenner and the 1.5W are £4 but are no good for most lighting applications as they don't give enough light out.

The 11W and 13W CFL lamps I have come across recently are quite good - you get around 50% of the light immediately and when it has warmed they are brighter than a 50W halogen, last far longer and use less electricity.

I have also come across a 9W CFL that will go into a fire rated downlight. The 11W and 13W are too big sometimes to go in.

Best of luck.

I have a mixed bag around the house; apart from LED's in the downlighters (I shall probably replace the Halogens when they fail, spread the cost that way)
CFL's are VITAL as my teenagers don't know how to use a lightswitch in the off position!:mad:
I'm like that doughnut in the advert:eek:

I fitted 70 odd of these back in January to a whole house.

Went back a month a go to do some extra bits and the client told me he was very happy with them and hasnt had to change a lamp yet!!!!

Hi Guys, I've fitted the shower fire rated downlights in my bathroom with CFL's. I really like them, cos they start up really dull and slowly brighten up, fantastic when you have just got up!
I can't remember which manufacturer though.

Must admit to being a fan of CFLs for primary lighting - initial warmup can be irritating but once warm - superb. Nicer colour rendition & spread than Halogen too

Altho LEDs have fantastic strengths (size, longevity, efficiency etc) & are definately the future, i don`t think they`re quite there yet for mainstream use.
Even the 5w GU10 fit LEDs are poor (but expensive) cousins to CFLs - mostly due to their narrow spread. Great for accent lighting or in small rooms (aka cupboards) but little else. The <3w lamps have even fewer real world applications - MR11 & 16 Halogens are still a far more realistic choice.

Aurora & Click mostly for me

Anyone else struck by how much brighter the 4 pin PL pendants are over BC fit Lo En lamps of apparenty the same wattage?

Last edited by a moderator:
Be careful people ...... Replacing GU10's with CFL's or LED's is all well and good BUT check your control gear out first. Switching them "ON" or "OFF" fine can't fault them, though consider the dimming aspect. CAN STING YOU !!!!

Be careful people ...... Replacing GU10's with CFL's or LED's is all well and good BUT check your control gear out first. Switching them "ON" or "OFF" fine can't fault them, though consider the dimming aspect. CAN STING YOU !!!!

Typically with non dimming CFL with dimmer they are not worth a crap I have too many service call from like this in both USA and France so it is nothing new to me.

However with LED I know it getting popuar but the cost that what it hold it back and I know there is USA verison of large recessed luminaire that have LED driver , lens , housing all in one and seems pretty bright IIRC they run about €130 or so and the brightness is simauir to 75 to 90 watt halogen bulbs are.

But one key issue is motion sensor that really can fry up anything electronic if they are not rated for electronic loads.

Merci,Marc

cool some useful info, thanks. Think I will try some clfs. Dont have any dimmers on the downlights so no worries about having to pay more for dimmable clf's. Our's are on quite a lot esp now it's darker a lot more :( so should save something in the long run and not have to keep replacing them!!!

I saw some of the prices on GU10 CFL's in earlier posts......I know for them at £3 plus VAT :)

Actually I sell them for that - I pay somewhat less ! :):)

I saw some of the prices on GU10 CFL's in earlier posts......I know for them at £3 plus VAT :)

Actually I sell them for that - I pay somewhat less ! :):)

Where do you get them from? What wattage etc are they?

I just bought 2 11W cool white ones to try out. Says they are equivalent to 60 watts so we will see. Cost me 22 for the pair!!!!

As you can tell by my name I am a true fan of LED bulbs. I agree with previous post that 5W LED bulbs are the way forward for 50W halogens. As I buy so many I get discount from my supplier (KOLighting). CFL's take a long time to get to full strength, LEDs are instant!

LED Bulbs Rock

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

I got some LED gu10's from ebay a year or so back. 4w and about £5 each. They gave the equivlent to 50w halogen and I don't think they had a driver. They are very similar to the ones marked 'assent lighting', but are actually as bright as 50w halogen.

The conclusion was, If your the sort of family conciencious about turning lights off, then don't bother (with the cheaper ones anyway).

I always turn the lights off after my mother, and they quickly died. The ones in her free standing fitting, get left on hours at a time, and are still going strong now.

Basically, if the lights are constantly on/off, then don't bother with the cheaper ones!

this sort: GU10 21/48/60/78 LED Bulb Day/Warm White Brighter Ver. on eBay (end time 01-Mar-11 01:31:40 GMT)

I have tried many of the 'cluster' LED bulbs and found them all to be poor brightness. The main thing I found through trial and error was the chip made a big difference. The better ones use CREE chips. I bought bulbs of the same wattage but if they had a CREE chip in them they were always brighter.

Also they last about 30 times longer. Standard halogen GU10's have a lifetime of about 1000 hours and LED bulbs can be anywhere from 30,000 to 50,000 hours.

Forget all those gu10 leds in my eyes the are a load of old and install these they are not cheap but warrenty of 8 years 7.9 watts and will blow any GU10 down lighter out of the water , i was very sceptical till i compaired one with a 50 watt down light Fire rated and sealed so ok for bathrooms and no transformers and they are available in a dimmable version , i just bought 4 for my bathroom Fire Rated - LED Downlights oh they are from £39.95 plus VAT

Reply to Energy Saving GU10's in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net