Discuss Energy Suppliers request Cert in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

highspark

I am attending a job tomorrow in which a landlord needs to have the supply turned back on by the Energy supplier. They have requested a certificate from an electrician to ensure (customers words) the installation is safe.

i am I right in thinking a condition report is what they are after. Obviously only dead tests can be completed...

The last one I dealt with the supply had been disconnected as the install was unsafe,as you say all you can do is dead tests and note on sheet that no live tests were done due to lack of power.

They will want an EICR or EIC (depending on what has been done on your part) so they can be sure under their duty of care in the knowledge that the installation is safe before they re-instate the supply to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I called them in cos a new fuse board had been fitted . For me a 2 hour journey one way ,so I arrived
He said got your very
Me no I faxed it over when I had you come over and if you had not received it you would not be here
Him no I need to see it
Me but the person who sent you here must have the copy I faxed over
Anyway to make it short he left
So rang them yes we will come back 2 or 3 days later.
So next chap turns up
Me here is the paper work
Him I can't change it as you have a new fuse board and I am a grade 2 meter fitter and I only change meters in original settings where nothing new has been done
Me I think your telling me find and I am going to ring your office and you can't leave this flat till I speak to some one (that's putting it politely)
He was right it seems . There is a grade 1 and a grade 2
So he went
I rang again an hour later and was told he had to have a week of work for the stress I had caused him .They would only send out 2 fitters and just to teach me a lesson they would turn up about 8pm.
I asked to speak to her boss to complain about what she said as all calls are recorded but that day they weren't working
Hope you understood all that

They will want an EICR or EIC (depending on what has been done on your part) so they can be sure under their duty of care in the knowledge that the installation is safe before they re-instate the supply to it.

Never been to the property before. So presuming it's the way it was in 2008. I'll just give him the cert, pass or fail it's up to him.

Never been to the property before. So presuming it's the way it was in 2008. I'll just give him the cert, pass or fail it's up to him.

Eh? You need to carry out a full EICR up to the point of live testing and then carry out the live testing once the supply is available.

You won't know what condition it's in until you inspect and test it.
You will likely find some low IR as, assuming there has been no heating, damp will have crept in everywhere.

Why?, with the provision of self connect meters.

You can't assume they will change the meter to a self connect type.
We don't know what has been done to make the supply dead, they might have disconnected the consumers tails and removed the fuse or maybe they dug up the road/climbed the pole and chopped the supply.

And he would still have to go back if it's a self connect meter to make the connection.

If it was killed in 2008 the chances are it was/is a 16th edition installation.
Do you not think that it should be treated as a new installation and brought up to current standard prior to energising?

Reply to Energy Suppliers request Cert in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net