Discuss English sparky living in Australia returning home-few questions! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

Dsparky

Hope this lands in the right forum, this is my first post!

So just have a few questions about what's going on in the industry in the UK right now. I'm in my late 20s and a 17th ed qualified spark completed through an apprenticeship. I also hold NVQ level 3. 3 years ago I left for Australia. I've been a spark in Sydney since I landed and recently got all the quals transferred over here (huge pain-for anyone thinking about it and am more than happy to help). Have had a great time but am thinking its time to make the move back to good old blighty! I know the weathers crap but homes home.

Just wanted to get a feel for whats going on back home and what quals/amendments I would need to get sorted out for reintegration into the industry. I left mid 2013 and I believe there's been a couple of amendments to the 17th since then? Essentially I want to know what I need to get and what would be worth getting? I mainly come from a construction and service background in the commercial and residential sector with a small amount of industrial experience. I'm looking at settling in London as there seems to be a lot going on there and it's close to home. What are the rates and hours looking like? Not afraid of long hours and will be looking to throw myself back in at the deep end as I have a wedding coming up in the near future.

Any tips, advice and questions are welcome.
Thanks in advance.
D

Can't comment on the rates in London but I'd imagine its a dam site more than what they pay in Yorkshire. A copy of the AMD3 Wiring Regs wouldn't go a miss regardless of what work you end up doing but you don't need to update your Qualifications.

You might want to get PASMA, IPAF etc if you don't already have them. But you shouldn't need to retrain really. You haven't been away for that long and your apprenticeship isn't that old. And yes, buy a copy of the BYB and OSG. Not much change really, just the usual pen pushers garbage!!

Cheers

Jay

You might want to get PASMA, IPAF etc if you don't already have them. But you shouldn't need to retrain really. You haven't been away for that long and your apprenticeship isn't that old. And yes, buy a copy of the BYB and OSG. Not much change really, just the usual pen pushers garbage!!

Cheers

Jay

Thanks Jay. When I was last there, I was installing plastic C/U's like they were going out of fashion- and now that's against the regs I'm reading?! Good old pen pushers mate. Thanks for the advice, I'll get onto those. Are employers still asking after 2391 test and inspect? That's something I never got round to taking..

I never got my 2391 either. Planning on doing it in September. But it's two seperate exams now.

2394 LEVEL 3 AWARD IN INITIAL VERIFICATION AND CERTIFICATION OF ELECTRICAL INSTALLATIONS

2395 LEVEL 3 AWARD IN PERIODIC INSPECTION AND CERTIFICATION OF ELECTRICAL INSTALLATIONS

I never got my 2391 either. Planning on doing it in September. But it's two seperate exams now.

2394 LEVEL 3 AWARD IN INITIAL VERIFICATION AND CERTIFICATION OF ELECTRICAL INSTALLATIONS

2395 LEVEL 3 AWARD IN PERIODIC INSPECTION AND CERTIFICATION OF ELECTRICAL INSTALLATIONS

Cheers hawk, much appreciated. Definitely something to consider when I return.

Worry about it when you get home! For now enjoy the rest of your time in Oz. I was out for a year and loved it. Different lifestyle to over here. I worked with a home automation company and every Friday at the end of the day, the TED's where cracked open! Lol. Good times.
What's making you want to come home? The missus missing home? Lol

Haha she's actually American so it's not her. We want to have family around for wedding/kids and so on. Plus the work isn't what it used to be out here. All slowing down a bit. And god I miss the footy!

Both my sons live permanently in Melbourne now. One took to it straight away but the other one really missed his mates, our pub culture and the football.
He stuck at it and now is totally settled down into Oz life.
He's see's how his UK mates work like crazy, get poorly paid and buy small rabbit hutch houses if they are lucky!
Oh yes and not forgetting our cold wet winters which go on and on..........
Think very carefully before you come back.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Reply to English sparky living in Australia returning home-few questions! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock