Discuss English trained electrician working in Australia for 25 years returning home in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

if you have the core qualifications, then 17th Rd. of the wiring regs ( 2382-12 ) is essential, and if you don't have the equivalent, 2391 ( due to be split into 2 separate quals. ( think 2395 and 2396, not quite sure ) would be advantageous. on a practical note, we don't use wind-up meggers now. :lol:

Not much has changed since you were here. We got new colours, new voltages (not really), RCDS just about everywhere for new stuff, bigger earth wires and we are harmonised with europe for elec specs, its all good ~

harmonised with europe for elec specs, its all good ~

what's good about that? the frogs won't speak English, why should we follow them with stupid colours and voltages. next thing is they'll have us driving up the wrong side of the M6.

OK will have a go:
We get CE marked stuff that can be mass produced for a bigger market(albeit have to changed that damm plug head)
You must remember the rip off the car markers were making on RHD vehicles basically penalising the UK cos we are different, imagine that for all the electrical stuff

what's good about that? the frogs won't speak English, why should we follow them with stupid colours and voltages. next thing is they'll have us driving up the wrong side of the M6.

Not sure what happened with the "Harmonised" bit where France is concerned - French Regs NFC 15-100 state that solid conductors can be the following colours

Phase - Any colour EXCEPT Light Blue, Green, Yellow or dual Yellow/Green
Neutral - Light Blue
Protective - Yellow/Green

For flex the phase can be Black or Brown

All the pre-filled conduit (Gaine) has RED/Blue/Yellow/Green and you can buy a rainbow of colours for other wiring - I follow Legrand colour scheme since there's no standards - Orange for strappers, Purple for Switched Live, Black for Pilot wires and once or twice used Brown but can remember what for.

Selection here Câblage et raccordement de l'installation - CASTORAMA

Lee

Last edited by a moderator:

The French are well overdue another invasion by the huns. Maybe next time we go over to liberate the ungratefull b**stards we could impose the english language upon them at bayonet point.

The French are well overdue another invasion by the huns. Maybe next time we go over to liberate the ungratefull b**stards we could impose the english language upon them at bayonet point.
All Napoleon's fault, until de Gaulle came along, that is. Toad.

Reply to English trained electrician working in Australia for 25 years returning home in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net