Discuss Enlightened plug and wireless rear speaker help needed please (probably yes or no) in the Home Media Centre Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

MikeZdoesit

Hi all,

Sorry if this is stupid question, I'm a graphic designer by trade so I have no idea if this is idiotic but here is my question if anyone knows what their doing can help:

My wife bought me a cheap Philips receiver / 5.1 surround sound thing, I know its not ideal but the speakers do sound great even though they are just using DTS and optical in/out. I ordered a wireless receiver from Germany to connect with the rear speakers and that works fine as its capable of the Australian 240v mains standard. The hardware works great, no problems there but the unit itself requires bear wires and the receiver has a proprietary plug (not RCA from my understanding).

I have this old speaker with two bear wires (it has no connector or plug).

This works fine, it makes a sound when the receiver looks for the rear speaker and this is what it looks like:

Enlightened plug and wireless rear speaker help needed please (probably yes or no) {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net
Enlightened plug and wireless rear speaker help needed please (probably yes or no) {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net
This is the plug my Philips speakers and receiver uses (it does say negative and positive on the actual plug):
Here's the question, if I just cut that plug off, shear the outer casing off the wire off and attach the bear wires, will it work the same as the old Panasonic speaker does or am I dangerously misguiding in thinking I can do that?

Thank you all for any advice you can offer.

Re: Enlightened plug and wireless rear speaker help needed please (probably yes or no

if i got your question correctly, you want to connect speaker from picture 4 (tall black one) into the unit on picture 2 (with bare wire terminals)?

yes you can cut the plug, and use bare wires. try finding the wattage of your unit and speakers, if its higher than the speakers can handle then things may break,
but it should not be the case for use at home and not cranking the volume up too high.

Re: Enlightened plug and wireless rear speaker help needed please (probably yes or no

Thanks so much mate, your right, it worked!! I've tested them and they work fine but the wireless receiver itself doesn't actually say which clamp is positive or negative so I've copied the receivers plug that I cut off and I'm assuming based on that its positive at the top and negative below, does that sound right?

I did notice the base clamps are black and that's usually negative from what I understand.

Can I do damage if I get it wrong or is there anyway to check? I've checked the unit itself and the manual and can't seem to find anything definitive. Sorry to be a pain!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Enlightened plug and wireless rear speaker help needed please (probably yes or no) in the Home Media Centre Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock