Discuss enquiry to DNO about earth type in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

cambria

Hi does anyone know if the DNOs keep a record of the type of earth they have supplied to properties so I can enquire if a particular commercial property is TNC-S or TNC. If they do is there a particular department to ask for when making an enquiry.

If you contact the DNO & ask for 'service alterations' they should be able to help.
They'll know the type of earthing at the premises but won't be able to give you a measurement apart from the max for your type.

The DNO are required by ESQCR to provide upon request, such information as the earthing arrangement if any supplied, the external earth fault impedance, the prospective short circuit current and the prospective earth fault current.
They should also be able to inform you whether there are any requirements on the size of earthing and bonding conductors, other than as per BS7671, and whether there are any prohibitions on earth exportation.

try that with scottish power. when i asked them if an address was suitable to PME , their reply was "we don't keep those sort of records". then they told me they'd send someone out within 5 working days. 3 months later, still waiting.

Tel, informing you what the current earthing sytem is, and telling whether it is possible to chang it to another type, are slightly different. No?

Well I phoned spenergy and got a very unhelpful person on the switchboard who seemed a bit put out that I was even asking such a question. She gave me the number for new connections and they said that was the wrong department and they didnt keep that sort of info. She gave me the number for the construction people and the guy did at least look on his computer but the only info he had was that the place I was asking about was a farm, which it used to be. He could only suggest going back to new connections and see if they could send an electrician to go to the site and cut the seals on their cover to find out, but he didnt seem hopeful that it would be any time soon.
Not a lot of joy with this then !

I think that in such a case, I would probably phone the general line and inform them that if they do not comply with their obligations under ESQCR, and contact you within the week to provide the information that they are legally required to provide, you will be contacting the Regulator.

Tel, informing you what the current earthing sytem is, and telling whether it is possible to chang it to another type, are slightly different. No?
sorry spin, just seen your post. my query with dno was whether their distribution system in the area was pme and if they could make a particular installation pme. the cut-out had an earth terninal attached, but not linked to the neutral. the installation is at present TT, but the rod has been hidden during alterations and is inaccessible. Ze is acceptable for a TT, but if pme is available, i want them to pme the job.

Reply to enquiry to DNO about earth type in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock