Discuss EPBD and Energy Management in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Morning gents, so basically im just after some information regarding the Energy Performance of Buildings Directive (EPBD). There is an assistant mangers job becoming avilable in my local company and im looking to apply for it. Just wanted some feedback and information on the subject please. If anyone has knowledge in this field and could give me some info or what sort of interview questions to look out for it would be very much appriciated. Cheers guys

You have rather a large remit there in referring to the EPBD, this is enacted in the UK by various means and affects quite a range of areas.
Probably the most familiar being the energy performance certificates, however the modifications to Part L of the building regulations and the use of the building services compliance guides may also be considered.

Without knowing more about the applications intended it would be difficult to specify any details.

Thanks Richard, the job is based in a hospital, so I'm assuming the main focus will be on energy conservation in a hospital environment. ie. How we can save energy by installing new plant,(LED lighting, CHP's etc). Also are you aware of any regulations specific for hospitals?

Sorry not sure about hospitals and energy performance.
I think the requirements are fairly general, this website may help you understand more about energy performance assessment. But I do not think it is something that you can become expert in in a short time, I would concentrate on the basic understanding to show you have the capability to progress to the level required.
Then you can provide some key points in interview and state that you are keen to be able to learn more so that you could fully implement a strategic plan for energy conservation in compliance with the EU directive!

Thanks Richard, any suggestions which would be the main areas to focus on? I've beeb brushing up on my Part L and the most recent updates. Other than that, like you say, its a bit vague. Cheers, Lee

I think this is your interview so you would need to be able to research what information you need to know.

However from an interview perspective I think it would be better to be upfront about your level of knowledge in a positive way.

Trying to sound knowledgeable to someone who does know about the area will be obvious and make you look less professional.

To state that this is something that you have not yet covered, but that you are aware of the building regulations requirements for energy efficiency in part L and that you would be keen to learn more about applying the SAP (standard assessment procedures) for buildings would probably stand you in better stead.
If you show that you have looked into the situation and therefore demonstrate interest in the process, then they may be more amenable to that than someone trying to bluff their way through.
Obviously if the job description states you must be competent in the UK applications of the EPBD, then you may be out of luck:smiley2:.

Yes I agree. Better to be up front and show interest than try and bluff your way through an interview. lol. Thank for all your comments. Will keep you posted wether I had the job or not!

Reply to EPBD and Energy Management in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net