Discuss EPC listed building (church) in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

N

Noshocks

I am quoting on a ground mount array at the rear of a chapel, its 100's of years old, in a conservation area and listed as well, these are being addressed by my customer however obviously there is isent a cat in hells chance that this church with stained glass windows etc will get a D rating, however the clause on the FIT stating that it would never be possible to improve the efficiency, due to it being listed with windows etc etc that cant be changed, should mean that its exempt, yes?

Hopefully someone else may have come across a similar situation and can advise.

I am quoting on a ground mount array at the rear of a chapel, its 100's of years old, in a conservation area and listed as well, these are being addressed by my customer however obviously there is isent a cat in hells chance that this church with stained glass windows etc will get a D rating, however the clause on the FIT stating that it would never be possible to improve the efficiency, due to it being listed with windows etc etc that cant be changed, should mean that its exempt, yes?

Isnt there meant to be change to the EPC requirements (I am not sure when these are going to take affect mind) meaning community organisations and small business (less than 50 employess) don't have to have an EPC of D or above? but strangely they will still need to have an EPC as part of the application but not in order to get the higher FIT rate.

You have to be a 'community interest company' for this to apply, starts from 1/12/2012.

http://www.decc.gov.uk/assets/decc/...t-response-to-consultation-on-comprehensi.pdf

A number of consultation respondents put forward evidence about the difficulty of delivering energy efficiency improvements for community buildings. We have therefore decided to exempt all community energy solar PV projects on non-domestic buildings from the requirement to reach EPC level D. We believe that the uncertainty about achieving a level D EPC is preventing some community energy projects from going ahead that would have done so otherwise. However, it is important that FITs is seen as part of a total package of improving the carbon performance of these buildings, so we will require that prospective generators must at least obtain an EPC (with no specific level required) dated on or before the eligibility date so they are aware of the potential improvements they may wish to pursue.

Surely this has to include a church? if a church is not community project then I don't know what is

Yes, but wouldn't the church authorities have to jump thru a whole load of hoops to become properly registered? Considering the fact that many (especially rural) churches share clergy between several parishes, resources are clearly stretched and extra paperwork is hardly what they need.

Yep but the Diocese head office will have lots of resources, and they talk to each other, so quite a few will already be discussing this internally. - What denomination? CofE presumably if so , just ring the Diocese office and speak to their financial controller, - they will want to help. Who knows you might end up doing a dozen churches.

Im surprised you have the go ahead for this ground mount considering where it is

I was coming on to ask the exact same thing. We are quoting for a church at the moment and I am not sure whether or not they require an epc.

They have just had an ASHP intalled and insulation to the church hall along with a few other measures but I am not 100% sure on the epc situation.

Who is the best person to get this clarified.

Resurrecting an old thread, has anyone seen any update or draft legislation on this recently?

When the announcements were made they talked of "community energy solar PV projects on non-domestic buildings" being exempt the requirement for an EPC level D, but never made it clear whether a church might fall within the category. As I have just put in a quote for PV on a listed church I am interested.

As far as a undertand the position hasn't changed, a church would need to register as a community interest company. It is strange that charities are not mentioned at all either

I think we should all ask each church that's interested to write to DECC, and their MP to ask them why church's and charities in general are not counted as community buildings, given that a charity has to be for public good, and CIC has a lower boundary of proof of community benefit than a charity, and asking them to change this position, then asking their diocese to also lobby for this to be changed.

Once the churches get going decc will be forced into another humiliating u turn fairly swiftly IMO.

Reply to EPC listed building (church) in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock