Discuss EPC on commercial "shed" any chance of a waiver? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Can't find any posts on this but they must be here somewhere. I have a metal clad building used as processing plant for small brewery. 18m x 8m. Open ended newish building. No insulation. No grid connection. No office space. We need EPC for FIT tariff but can we get exemption or only 50% of available FIT as no chance of a D rating? Or is there a way?

Thanks Ted. I have read all the information and spoken to EDF.
The building is not attached to any other building.
It does not have an office as such but there is a chair and a picnic table where you sit and have a cup of tea in the corner but no walls to this area it is open.There are no internal walls at all.
The only fly in the ointment is there is a wood burning stove which may tip it over the edge of "relevent building" ??? For the sake of doubling the FIT I would take this out if it does cause a problem?
I would rather have ammunition before getting the assessor on site as it is a massive difference in income on 10kw. 14.37p or 7.29p.

Is the wood boiler there to provide a 'conditioned environment' i.e. warm the place or is it there for the mash tuns?

If it there to warm the place, you'll need the epc. (after all why would you want to heat the outside world, if the objective is to warm the environment)

If this shed has no grid connection then what are you going to connect to?

Victron Inverter/charger + batteries + generator with thermal dumps. Power required will be intermittent but quite high sometimes so generator will top up if required for peaks. PV will run most base loads daily. We are planning to add a separate commercial offshoot to use the excess PV in summer rather than waste it.
Various EPC assessors have given me so much bunkum! Still looking for a local who knows their stuff. The last one said I need to go to the local building control officer about EPC exemption letter.

Victron Inverter/charger + batteries + generator with thermal dumps. Power required will be intermittent but quite high sometimes so generator will top up if required for peaks. PV will run most base loads daily. We are planning to add a separate commercial offshoot to use the excess PV in summer rather than waste it.
Various EPC assessors have given me so much bunkum! Still looking for a local who knows their stuff. The last one said I need to go to the local building control officer about EPC exemption letter.

Some Accreditation schemes have advised their energy assessors to not do exemption letters because of the implications of getting it wrong. A lot of energy assessors just use pay per click insurance which wouldn't cover offering exemption letters.

It is such a grey area. The good news is that a non domestic EPC is CO2 based so a wood burning stove would be seen a renewable heating source and is positive for the result and 10kW of PV will help the result too. Now if you have efficient lighting in place then it would likely get the D rating.

However, if it's open ended then you can't do an EPC as there is no way to enter that in to the software. Got any photos?

Can you get Fits without a mains supply?

Did I say there was a WBS? Don't know where that came from....
A kind contributor has directed me to an assessor locally who is doing the letter. (Thanks)
There is LED lighting throughout as using a generator you are automatically going to be looking for low energy loads. Having the PV means the huge generator will go replaced by a much smaller affair as you have to a some emergency backup.

Yes FIT's is available because you are using renewable energy to power the building thus supporting the government (EU) directive but you cannot have export payment obviously. Batteries are not "green" but possible better than gallons of diesel.

Of course you can't get scaffolding for love nor money at the moment so maybe that's the business to be in.

With LED, biomass and 10kW PV a circus marque could get a good EPC rating.

But as you don't have biomass and you don't technically have a building under the definition in the regs due to a missing wall - then it's exempt.

Reply to EPC on commercial "shed" any chance of a waiver? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock