Discuss Equipotential bonding of the gas meter and water stopcock when installing solar PV system in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi forum members, I hope someone can assist with my enquiry. I have been advised that to comply with BS7671 Reg 132.16 my solar and battery installation will require equipotential bonding at my gas meter and water stopcock, but for the life of me I can't understand why if the appropriate isolators have been installed to the solar PV (DC & AC) and battery storage. There is no solar thermal system for hot water, so I don't understand what the impact is on either the gas or water pipework. Or how the solar installation make the bonding provisions worse that the existing setup.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
JimJJnr

Is there any existing Bonding and as above does it meet the standards?
Has whoever is installing the P.V checked the bonding and found it be none conforming or even non existant?
Or is it just a standard statement that they are making so that others can check and correct if needed before the P.V install is started?

Is there any existing Bonding and as above does it meet the standards?
Has whoever is installing the P.V checked the bonding and found it be none conforming or even non existant?
Or is it just a standard statement that they are making so that others can check and correct if needed before the P.V install is started?
Hi snowhead & ipf,
thank you for your responses. there is no visible sign of bonding at the stopcock and there does not appear to be one at the gas meter, however my radiators do have earthing wires attached to them. If I have a Minor Electrical Works certificate that indicates the continuity test is confirmed, should this negate the need for the addition of the bonding at the meter and stopcock?

Thanks again
JimJJnr

Hi snowhead & ipf,
thank you for your responses. there is no visible sign of bonding at the stopcock and there does not appear to be one at the gas meter, however my radiators do have earthing wires attached to them. If I have a Minor Electrical Works certificate that indicates the continuity test is confirmed, should this negate the need for the addition of the bonding at the meter and stopcock?

Thanks again
JimJJnr
The earthing/bonding etc needs looking at properly.
If extraneous the gas and water need bonding.

If I have a Minor Electrical Works certificate that indicates the continuity test is confirmed, should this negate the need for the addition of the bonding at the meter and stopcock
Basically the installation has to be in a safe condition to extend/alter. Not necessarily up to latest regs in every detail, but safe.
If metal service pipes aren't bonded it isn't deemed to be safe. I'm afraid its as simple as that.

This isn't a new thing - it's been part of the regulations for a very long time now (I suspect it was introduced in 1934, 10th edition but don't quote me on that)
In most cases it isn't a difficult or expensive job adding it, and it can be run around the outside of the house if required.
Certainly in the context of a solar and battery job this is not going to be adding much to the bill.

Reply to Equipotential bonding of the gas meter and water stopcock when installing solar PV system in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net