Discuss Error on Megger 1553... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

timo1

-
Reaction score
My too clever for its own good Megger 1553 MFT is flashing E15 and >1000 on each setting upon start up. Does anyone know if this is terminal? I have spoken to Megger who just say that as it is out of warranty (2008) it will cost £289 plus the dreaded which makes it too expensive to fix. Does anybody know a company that would be cheaper? I bought this tester as a spare (second hand) and would like to keep it if I can get it fixed for somewhere near £100 (I know good luck lol)

Cheers Glen. If I had bought it new I'd be jumping up and down and demanding it gets fixed but as it happens I got it for a decent price second hand. Unbelievable to think that a £1000 instrument only lasts 5 years. There is a place on ebay which offer a no fix no fee deal which I may take a punt at.

Cheers Glen. If I had bought it new I'd be jumping up and down and demanding it gets fixed but as it happens I got it for a decent price second hand. Unbelievable to think that a £1000 instrument only lasts 5 years. There is a place on ebay which offer a no fix no fee deal which I may take a punt at.
well...i got one of my MFTs off ov ebay for £50....the other one i got off a member in here for £40....their old buckets but both still going well.....
it depends on how much you wanted to pay for a new one...
i know steve jackson at metrel....
he offered me a better price than i could get anyware else....what i mean is whatever i was offered to buy he would better it....

they will just take a look at it and give you a price to fix....
its not like they will start replacing components on the board.....they will just sling the duff board out of it and replace with new....all the boards in em now are like `plug n play`....a bit of setting up on a callibration rig and their off out again....

thing is when one of my MFTs started arsin about on IR i took it in to steve at metrel....
he had a look inside and identified straight away that there was a resistor that had been blown off the board completely...further more he said that it had been `modified` in the past....and not very well either as some of the components were reversed...
he put a new voltage generator in it, a new bridge rectifier, a new opp amp, some new resistors, replaced all the relays and serviced the rotary switch....that little lot would`v cost me more than it was worth but as he was using it for his apprentice i got the work done for next to nowt....

it may be nothing more than the rotary switch though Timo.....
they have little gold contacts on em....when these wear out it can cause high resistances....also the relay switches build up carbon over time resulting in sticking and crap continuty....

It would be nice if it was something straightforward. I had a look inside but I'm no electronics whiz, it would have to had been really obvious for me to find it lol. I've emailed the company on ebay to see if they are willing to take it on. I'll post on here if I have any luck though...

It would be nice if it was something straightforward. I had a look inside but I'm no electronics whiz, it would have to had been really obvious for me to find it lol. I've emailed the company on ebay to see if they are willing to take it on. I'll post on here if I have any luck though...
i have seen the one your on about Timo....
what they offer is a fixed price to repair....they will of course weigh up the cost of repair V their own cost/profit margin....and if the figures dont add up...they will advise you accordingly.....
but see what Megger say as well....as from what i`v heard their a decent set of bodds down there....

Well I've sent it off as they said they could fix it. It arrived with them this morning so I'll let you know. They seemed very decent when I emailed them.

Reply to Error on Megger 1553... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net