Discuss Errrrr disgusting!!!!!! Nasty side of electrical work! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Jay Sparks

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
Hi guys & gals,

So went to a call out the other day, fast food shop. Won't say wat fast food it was!! Anyway, one of the machines had stopped working. It was on its own dedicated circuit and the rcbo wouldn't turn on. So, I opened the cu (in a cellar) and a load of water peeed out. The bus bar and earth bar was green and so were a few of the cable terminations. So I suggested moving the board about a metre or so to the right. Easy enough job, as all the cables came from that way any way.

So i go round today to fit a couple a batttens to the wall with a piece of board on them for the cu.

The owner came down and wanted to see were the water was coming from. So i whipped my torch out and had a look into a cavity above and slightly behind the cu. I reached in to pull out what i thought was an old leather work mans glove!!!! Well i pulled this thing out and with a big girly screech, i dropped it to the floor. The owner bab'd himself, ha ha ha. It was only a big --- rat that had been dead for a long, long time.

The owner, still shaking, says to me "don't you like rats"? I said "not really that bothered about em but i don't want to be grabbing a dead one", hence the girly screech when i realised what it was.

So, what's the worst thing you guys ha e found, dead or alive, when doing a job?

Jay

rewiring a old house in the sticks near mine, moving the insulation in the attic to be able to wire the lights and smoke in and I thought I saw something move. Went back down to change the battery on my head touch. As I put my hand on the joist to pick get myself back into the attic, their was a loud squeal and something furry under my hand. It was a rat the size of a rabbit!!! I was nearly sick

While an apprentice we got a rewire of a house overlooking a beautiful park, he was a councillor she was a college lecturer or vice versa but either way supposedly intelligent people. She was heavily pregnant too.
Anyway, we kept finding these cotton wool balls with some sort of residue of something on them, notknowing what it was we just swept them out of our way. Midday of day 2 in storms my mentor blue with rage and screams at me to pack the tools and get out. Now I'm thinking I've screwed up big time and am in for a clout.
When I got in the van he showed me a leaflet. Turns out she had some sort of infection down there and the leaflet told her how to apply some cream and it was this that was the residue on the cotton wool balls.
That's the worst I've ever found apart from a rat that bit me

While an apprentice we got a rewire of a house overlooking a beautiful park, he was a councillor she was a college lecturer or vice versa but either way supposedly intelligent people. She was heavily pregnant too.
Anyway, we kept finding these cotton wool balls with some sort of residue of something on them, notknowing what it was we just swept them out of our way. Midday of day 2 in storms my mentor blue with rage and screams at me to pack the tools and get out. Now I'm thinking I've screwed up big time and am in for a clout.
When I got in the van he showed me a leaflet. Turns out she had some sort of infection down there and the leaflet told her how to apply some cream and it was this that was the residue on the cotton wool balls.
That's the worst I've ever found apart from a rat that bit me

Did you not have a sniff of one of these cotton balls???? That would of been a clue.lol

About 20 years ago, and not long out of my apprenticeship, I got a job as the sole maintenance electrician in an ancient animal feeds factory. It was more of a massive warehouse tbh with machinery and only about 6 people scattered about the site.
Anyway, whenever a floor auger stopped working I was sent to investigate. One particular night, around 9.45 and just before my shift was due to finish (as is usually the case), I was called to such a job. As I descended the wooden stairs to have a look with only my head torch for light, dozens (felt like hundreds at the time) of mice ran up the steps, up the handrails and all over me as they exited the chamber... Absolutely terrifying....
The only positive thing to come out of that was the knowledge that where there were mice, there were no rats.....

Anyone remember "Bunny Burners"?
For the uninitiated they are / were sanitary towel electric burning devices. Got a call to a school because one had gone faulty. It must have been faulty for over a week, the girls had been stuffing more and more in to it.
I had to get long nose pliers to pull about 50 used "jam rags" out before i could start working on it! Nice!

Anyone remember "Bunny Burners"?
For the uninitiated they are / were sanitary towel electric burning devices. Got a call to a school because one had gone faulty. It must have been faulty for over a week, the girls had been stuffing more and more in to it.
I had to get long nose pliers to pull about 50 used "jam rags" out before i could start working on it! Nice!

could you smell fish is that why you were messing in there lol

in an old db noticed an old dirty unsheathed earth cable curled up as i thought, so in goes the long nose pliers mmmm this is not moving oh i hear a crackkk!!! as i pull out the pliers ive got a skeleton mouse on the end.

Not sparky related but lifted up an ISO container (yes, I'm that strong) in Afghanistan and about 200 camel spiders ran out, not normally worried about them but it was an excessive amount. One hardened squaddie screamed like a girl and ran off, went for a smoke whilst they all ran off to find shade.

For those who don't know what a camel spider is:

Errrrr disgusting!!!!!! Nasty side of electrical work! Facts_on_Camel_Spiders_Specie - EletriciansForums.net

Several things spring to mind here;
1, Few years back i was doing some repair work on a feed hopper on a dairy farm. Ancient bit of kit and i was up an old pole ladder fault finding this as it was tripping the rcd. Found something wedged onto one of the microswitches ( protective covers had long gone missing). Pulled it out and damn near fell of the ladder with shock. It turned out to be a mouse that had crawled in there, power came back on at milking time and fried the little bugger. All the fur had gone down its back and the skin over the spine had cooked off. Real nice.

All this on a day when the van was in for repairs and my wife took me to the job, it being a saturday and her having nothing else to do. amused her no end, reckons i screamed like a girl when i realised just what i had in my hand.

After tidying up, just down in the 'mains room' and the farmers dog found a nest of young mice behind some boxes and proceeded to eat the lot. Entrails hanging from its mouth. Just about finished the day off quite nicely.

2, And another, not electrical this, but had to pay a visit to a house regarding a mains change and move. Upstairs in the bathroom (above the mains) figuring out how the hell i was going to do this, and a window fitter working there said look at this and reaching into the bath with a screwdriver demonstrated that the pair of sh**ty knickers thrown into the bath by the very attractive young lady who owned the house had actually dried on.
She came into the bathroom two minutes later, reached in and pealed them off the bottom of the bath. I kid you not when i say that there was a sound very similiar to velcro being pulled apart. Left a skid mark in the bath. She didn't seem quite so attractive after that!

Not sparky related but lifted up an ISO container (yes, I'm that strong) in Afghanistan and about 200 camel spiders ran out, not normally worried about them but it was an excessive amount. One hardened squaddie screamed like a girl and ran off, went for a smoke whilst they all ran off to find shade.

For those who don't know what a camel spider is:

View attachment 12925
That's got a striking resemblance to you strima! Family?

Reply to Errrrr disgusting!!!!!! Nasty side of electrical work! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock