Discuss ES LED Lamps in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

David M

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
I've got a job to price, it involves replacing around 30 or so ES lamps for modern LED type. The existing light fittings are pendent type with alloy lamp shades as part of the fitting design. My customer complains about how often they have to replace the existing standard filament lamps and asked me if a suitable LED lamp would be cost effective and reduce the maintenance time and mainly nuisance they currently endure. He would like to keep the existing fittings and just swap the lamps.
Any recommendations for a decent ES LED lamp would be grateful.

Thanks Dave

I think you have to think about the light output/lumens equivalency first. It is quite hard to get and LED retro replace to equal even a 60w incandescent. Despite what it says on the box customer do complain they are not the stated light output. Also check on the electrical safety first on whatever you are thinking of buying as many LED sold are withdrawn for safety reasons. Having said that I would go for JCC as they give a seven year guarantee. I think the highest lumens I have seen are 1050 so say 75w equivalent. So I would try one or two first and see what the customer thinks.

I would agree that most ES lamps do not meet the brightness levels expected for incandescent lamps.
An 11 or 12W LED would give enough light in most cases (these tend to be the 1000lm level).
Most ES lamps are between 4 and 7 W, OK for a 40W lamp replacement or for chandeliers.
Also check on the visual impression, I have some nice bright LEDs but they look very industrial and customers do not like them on display.
If you can find ( I can't) an 11W+ filament LED bulb the same size as a GLS then these would probably be the best for your application.

Thanks Guys for the reply's, I really appreciate the advice.
My electrical suppliers rep came to see me and he offered me pretty much the same advice as your good selves. (nice to know some reps are not just after the quick sale)So we will try a few different options and see what the customer prefers. My rep reckons around £9.50 per unit for a good quality one with guarantee. Would you say that sounds about right? Or shall I shop around?

Reply to ES LED Lamps in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net