Discuss ESC for car battery? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

Battery

Hi all,

I am relatively new to electronics. I am building a device which uses a car battery to power a starter motor. The system is remote controlled and I want a suitable ESC to enable me to control the motor.

What ESC should I use?

Thanks,

basically, you need to calculate the max. current drawn by the motor, then search your controller to be able to handle the current. there are guys on this forum will know better than I where to search. not really my field of expertise.

The only efficient way to do this is by Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) - where the speed is controlled by duty cycle of the supply voltage.
It's efficient because the current is either on or off. you just vary the time on compared to time off to control the motor's output.
Take all the hard work out of it by using off-the-shelf control gear for model cars.
But you will be dealing with currents in the range of maybe 50 to 300A, depending on the size of starter motor and the mechanical loading on it.

Therefore you would need to build a suitable output booster stage to tag onto the model control gear.
It won't be cheap. Depending on what you're looking to drive, and the PWM frequency you need to use, have a look at Infineon ProFets.
I've used one to drive two high powered car radiator fans at variable speed - PWM'ing 30 Amps, the device got barely warm even withoiut a heatsink.
But I built my own PWM circuit (cribbed from a PC fan speed controller!) but I needed to run a low PWM frequency (about 100Hz) to minimise losses in the ProFet.

Because of the current involved, you may need to run a few devices in parallel.

Simon.

I don't see a pulse width modulation or variable frequency drive working on a DC motor. Most DC spped control would be by varying the voltage usually.

ESC could also mean electronic stability control. Maybe the op can clarify.

Reply to ESC for car battery? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock