Discuss Essential kit in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

I would say some of the essential hand tools are cutters, pliers, screwdrivers, hammer, hacksaw, combination square, file, grips (shifters, water pump pliers, gland nut pliers or whatever else you choose to call them) adjustable spanners, knife, tape measure, steel ruler.

You can get metric only tapes which are great cos you can read off either side. I cant understand why 50 years later we are still using inches. Ireland and Canada both went metric after us and don't use imperial at all. but we are still messing about in the middle.
Plumbing pipe in the south of Ireland remains imperial to this day.

Everyone will have their own preferences and needs, from the top of my head I would list:
  • A tool box: not too big so you can easily carry it, probably tough plastic as lighter and less likely to gouge things it you knock in to them. A 2nd tool box for less frequently used or bigger mechanical / joinery tools is a good idea)
  • Safety stuff: goggles, dust mask (if you can get one!), ear plugs, riggers gloves
  • Safe isolation stuff: voltage tester, proving unit, maybe lockout padlock
  • Screwdrivers: VDE insulated set, and maybe a couple of spares (No.1 pozi and smaller flat tend to break).
  • Pliers: decent wire cutter or combination pliers, long nosed pliers
  • Knife (with retractable or sheathed blade, less accidents pulling out other tools from your box)
  • Wire stripper (some like the cutters with stripping holes, other just sharp cutters, automatic strippers get a lot of debate but I find the CK one great for T&E cable)
  • Measuring stuff: tape measure for long distances, maybe plastic ruler for details, set square or similar for neat right angles
  • Mechanical stuff: hacksaw, files (flat and round), claw hammer, chisel, some sandpaper & cork block
  • Spanners (small adjustable, sliding joint wrench for big things)
  • Electrical measurement: multimeter that is at least CAT III 300V rated, or mutli-function tester if you have a big enough budget
  • Drill bits and battery drill (can get expensive for good brands like Milwaukee)
  • Misc stuff: PVC tape, small spare stuff (M3.5 screws for sockets, selection wood screws, Wago terminals, grommets, etc), small notebook and pen.
There are bound to be obvious things i have missed, but hopefully others here will provide their sage advice. Or parsley, if preferred...
[automerge]1584523911[/automerge]
Some other things I remembered:
  • Earth sleeving!
  • Some non-VDE screwdrivers for small sizes (e.g. No.0 pozi, 3mm flat) where you can't get a sleeved one in and/or its low voltage (e.g. for changing batteries with screw-fixed covers)
  • A big---- flat screwdriver for the occasional old wood screw or to abuse as a pry-bar.
[automerge]1584525280[/automerge]
  • Torch / site light (rechargeable, ideally plastic insulated body)
  • Fuses, probably buy 3A & 5A, and you will find 13A collect anyway as you check / fix stuff and swap out wrong fuses.
Other stuff you might eventually keep in the van are:
  • Keeping customer clean stuff (dust sheet, brush/shovel, vacuum)
  • Ladder (light, insulated best, e.g. Youngman)
  • SDS drill & bits (including channel cutting)
  • Extension cable with RCD protection
  • Cable selection (for domestic say 1mm T&E for light only, but many just keep 1.5mm as OK for short single outlet power as well, 2.5mm T&E for ring, some prefer 4mm T&E for radial, maybe some 6 or 10 T&E for cooker)
  • Pipe bonding clamps, 10mm green/yellow wire for earth bonding
  • Spare 13A plugs, spare IEC "kettle" lead
  • Selection of back boxes and sockets, light switches. Planned jobs might need to order matching stuff, with repairs some are happy to get anything immediately
  • Same for spare bulbs, worth having a couple of warm white LED in BC & ES, and some GU10 or whatever.

Last edited:
@pc1966 LOL. Yeah its a base to start with. Some items are a bit dated and have modern equivalents. For example we keep a plumb bob (and laser level) in the van but I wouldn't expect an apprentice to have one personally.

@pc1966 LOL. Yeah its a base to start with. Some items are a bit dated and have modern equivalents. For example we keep a plumb bob (and laser level) in the van but I wouldn't expect an apprentice to have one personally.

Good point. What is missing from that list is eye protection (goggles) even though it has a cold chisel included!

Folks always have goggles/protective specs (or hard hat + face shield) when doing anything that can throw out debris! (hammering, drilling, chiselling, grinding, etc.) Also should be standard practice when testing live stuff just in case...

That list seems a little out of date, I wonder how old it is.
I don't have some of those tools and I've been doing the job a few years now.
I haven't got a plumb bob, mole grips, bradawl etc

It would be good to see/make a more up-to-date list. I imagine most folk would use one of those spirit levels with dual indicators for vertical (instead of plumb line) as well as horizontal checks.

I don't even know what a "1 Pair foot prints (225m)" is!

Most folk I know simply abuse a small/old screwdriver as a bradawl, after all it is not really a major part of a typical sparks day to be doing woodworking.

It would be good to see/make a more up-to-date list. I imagine most folk would use one of those spirit levels with dual indicators for vertical (instead of plumb line) as well as horizontal checks.

I don't even know what a "1 Pair foot prints (225m)" is!

Most folk I know simply abuse a small/old screwdriver as a bradawl, after all it is not really a major part of a typical sparks day to be doing woodworking.
'Footprints' is really a brand name... mind you, so is 'Mole'. Footprints are amazing as they automatically tighten onto a pipe the harder you try to turn it. All to do with the shape of the jaws and the pivot point. Defo find a pair if you can... 2nd hand is great as they last forever. I have 2 pairs... and the only issue is the adjusting screw falls out alot.

A chalk line is very useful for marking long lines on walls for cable clipping etc. and I can use mine as a plumb bob too !

Bradawls were very handy years ago before we all used cordless drills with PZ2 bits... try starting a slot head screw with a screwdriver without one !

I bet the youngsters don't know what a 'gimlet' is either !

'Footprints' is really a brand name... mind you, so is 'Mole'. Footprints are amazing as they automatically tighten onto a pipe the harder you try to turn it. All to do with the shape of the jaws and the pivot point. Defo find a pair if you can... 2nd hand is great as they last forever. I have 2 pairs... and the only issue is the adjusting screw falls out alot.

Ah, like a pipe wrench! (Stillson).

I would never call them "a pair" though, and I'm not man enough to handle one that is 225 meters long!
[automerge]1584546617[/automerge]
Found the web site for anyone who is interested:

Last edited:
footprint . i have 1. useful as it self tightens as you put turning pressure on.
1584546686147.png

I think the oldest tool I own is in a toolbox full of taps and dies I inherited frommy grandad, there's a Whitworth tap in there with 1937 stamped on it.

Reply to Essential kit in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net