Discuss Essential kit in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi I was hoping somebody could list a standard electricians tool kit content so that I can see if I am missing any essential kit, also please list anything that wouldn’t be considered essential but will be very useful really appreciate any replies thank you

May I suggest a quick click on the 'Search' option in the top right corner and then judicious use of sites search functions with keywords such as 'tools', 'pliers'. There are already lots of posts on the site about tools.

You could perhaps try the same on YouTube as there are a number of sparks from the UK who have done 'what's in my toolkit' style videos.

tools consist of what ever you like and can afford, whether you need it or not. :imp: :imp:

One man / woman / persons standard toolkit may not be another
man / woman / persons kit.
Also depends on whether site, or local customers, or Domestic / Commercial / Industrial.
etc
Basic kit, pliers /strippers and screwdrivers.

whether you need it or not.

My kit seems to meet that criterior o_O
I give priority to Want more than Need.

Welcome Lewis. If you’re a trainee get on the Trainee section. Re tools you could break it down into three areas, tools for wiring ie stripping, cutting and termination of various conductors, safe isolation and test equipment and then other tools like drills, hole saws, multi-tools, chasers etc which will all be dependent on the type of work you do.

Welcome Lewis. If you’re a trainee get on the Trainee section. Re tools you could break it down into three areas, tools for wiring ie stripping, cutting and termination of various conductors, safe isolation and test equipment and then other tools like drills, hole saws, multi-tools, chasers etc which will all be dependent on the type of work you do.
Thanks for the reply I’ve just found this website so new to how it works
[automerge]1583662142[/automerge]
One man / woman / persons standard toolkit may not be another
man / woman / persons kit.
Also depends on whether site, or local customers, or Domestic / Commercial / Industrial.
etc
Basic kit, pliers /strippers and screwdrivers.

My kit seems to meet that criterior o_O
I give priority to Want more than Need.
Thanks for the reply

I literally started out with an old tool box , about 3 screwdrivers , a hammer , pair of side cutters , combi pliers and tape measures.
Borrowed my dads black & decker drill (which i burned out drilling joists)

I literally started out with an old tool box , about 3 screwdrivers , a hammer , pair of side cutters , combi pliers and tape measures.
Borrowed my dads black & decker drill (which i burned out drilling joists)
you had a tape measure? luxury. i had to make do with a piece of string which my dad had knotted at intervals.

There used to be a list of hand tools on the SECTT website that apprentices were required to buy for the start of college. You could try looking there.

i have a 100ft. tape somewhere. it's great as it ain'y got these new-fangled centipedes on it., just plain english inches.

you can still buy imperial tape measures on ebay , i think most american / canada measures come only in imperial inches/feet.
when did we start using cm/mm tapes ?

Most decent tapes come with dual measurement systems no ?

I this country yes we generally buy dual measures

But most tape measures I have seen in America/Canada are straight up inches & feet

you can still buy imperial tape measures on ebay , i think most american / canada measures come only in imperial inches/feet.
when did we start using cm/mm tapes ?
We used to get them in the '70's...but, to some extent, I never noticed 'em 'till it was forced on us with quoting and measuring for jobs. Since cash went decimal, everything else has gradually, to a degree.
I still work out approx how much fuel is per gallon and, if I can be bothered, miles per gallon. Litres and Km still don't register.
When you think about it, we still buy a 568ml bottle of milk.....but it does cost about 17s 6d a pint :rolleyes:

Wiha sell a very good kit called wiha competence. It is expensive and I don't have it but if you have a decent budget it's worth a look. Otherwise just buy seperate items.

You can get metric only tapes which are great cos you can read off either side. I cant understand why 50 years later we are still using inches. Ireland and Canada both went metric after us and don't use imperial at all. but we are still messing about in the middle.
The reason is... that feet and inches are very nice sizes to use... far more practical on a day to day basis. I love working in them... but will also use metric where I need to.

What I find really really annoying is when something that is clearly made in feet and inches has to be converted (due to EU rules) into metric to sell it. e.g. Most sheet materials sold as 2400mm x 1200mm are actually 8'x4' if you measure 'em. Similarly, ¼" is sold as 6mm, which it isnt ! etc etc...

One of my ideas to reduce immigration is to return to pounds/shillings/pence... Having 240 pennies to the pound would be such a great deterrent ! Mind you, the millennial snowflake generation would probably need counselling...

Reply to Essential kit in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock