Discuss Estate agents, bless 'em in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

JulianC

My old business partner and PV roof monkey (aka Spiderman) is considering downsizing, now he's finally booted the last of his kids out. He's had 3 different estate agents round to value his place in the last couple of days. There is a rather fetching 3.5kW pv system on his rear roof, that earned us our place on the MCS register in a previous life. All 3 estate agents took one look at it and said "Hmmm, solar - that's Green Deal that is. That's a cost attached to the property. That will devalue it." Despite Spiderman's continued protestations, the bell-ends were having none of it (I told them he should have showed them his invoice. He never thought of that :90:). Anyhoo, he told the last parasite to Foxtrot Oscar out of his house and go and fetch someone who knows what they are talking about. :biggrin5:

I have just had something similar . I am looking at mortgaging my place in order to buy more land next door to me , so had an estate agent out a couple of weeks ago to value the place and the solar pretty much blew his mind !

.... that's Green Deal that is. That's a cost attached to the property. That will devalue it ...

I take it by "Green Deal" they are implying the roof has been fitted under a govt scheme and the new owner will have to pay for it over the future years?

I take it by "Green Deal" they are implying the roof has been fitted under a govt scheme and the new owner will have to pay for it over the future years?

That's the implication. Now my mate might not look like the sharpest tool in the box, but to accuse him of taking out a Green Deal? What an insult!

given that there have only been about 50 green deal installs carried out so far, vs hundreds of thousands of solar PV installs, it's a bit odd that they've even considered the possibility of it being green deal.

That's the implication. Now my mate might not look like the sharpest tool in the box, but to accuse him of taking out a Green Deal? What an insult!

With that in mind, how does one prove when selling your house that the PV panels on your roof arent subject to a green deal? Is there some certificate supplied that proves this?

There are multiple 'safeguards' built in to the house transfer process:

- the estate agents will have to use the most up to date EPC which will flag that a Green Deal exists.
- any Green Deal on a property will show up on the local land charges register in any search carried out by a solicitor.
- when a new owner occupies a property and contracts with an electricity supplier they will be told if a Green Deal exists.

It's still possible to think of scenarios where this could fail. But as only 57 Green Deals have actually been taken out so far the probability of anyone buying a house encumbered with a Green Deal is vanishingly remote.

Of the 57 green deals put in place I would predict that the amount of PV installations within these " deals" is a number less than 1.

Most if not all will be boilers and/or insulation.

Be nice to hear different ........

Reply to Estate agents, bless 'em in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock