Discuss estimating in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

macloon

would just like a bit of advice on pricing a job not sure if I have gone in too expensive. Job involves wiring a new conservatory extension which will involve 25m of 2.5mm t+e, 35m of 1.5mm t+e. 4 double sockets to be chased out and 8 downlighters and an outside security light and 1 new light switch. Any advice would be much appreciated

You haven't mentioned the existing consumer unit. Any work needed there? RCD/RCBO for sockets, lights. All the new work must comply with 17th edition so you may need to upgrade before you can sign off that BS7671 certificate.

would just like a bit of advice on pricing a job not sure if I have gone in too expensive. Job involves wiring a new conservatory extension which will involve 25m of 2.5mm t+e, 35m of 1.5mm t+e. 4 double sockets to be chased out and 8 downlighters and an outside security light and 1 new light switch. Any advice would be much appreciated

Is that supply and fit?

Eith12v downlighters(good quality) white PVC switches 500w halogen security light with internal wall switch

Assuming no upgrades needed at origin

I would say around £150 for materials(including a small mark up)
Around half a day first fix and the same again second fix

£120 per half day

Just under £400

What did you quote, out of interest?

I would charge about £300

way under.

a day each for 1st and 2nd fix. £350 + £150 materials. then extra for any works on consumer unit , earthing and bonding if required.

no work needed on board as all RCD and just going to add to exsisting circuits as wont excced loads or have problems like voltage drop etc

still around the 500 mark. it's 2 days gone, even if you finish each day at 3

still around the 500 mark. it's 2 days gone, even if you finish each day at 3

I would knock that first and second fix out in about 3 hours each!

To make 8 downlighters and four sockets last all day that's alot of tea in between! Lol

However I understand about eating into the day, but I normally have something else to fit in to make up the day with so that would help

But I do agree £300 is too cheap!

anyway come on spill the beans how much??

its not supply and fit as customer wants to choose own fittings, i had allowed £350 as was thinking 2 days work and cost of materials plus a little bonus, what do people think?

its not supply and fit as customer wants to choose own fittings, i had allowed £350 as was thinking 2 days work and cost of materials plus a little bonus, what do people think?

Depends on where you live. Prices in Chelsea and Cameronshire are much higher than Stoke (apologies to Stoke).

It's going to be 2 days. I'd want a bit more than £350.
ALSO point out to the customer that there will be additional cost if the fittings he supplies aren't suitable, or are not all there exactly at the time you want to fit them.
I always quake when the customer says they will supply materials - either they go and buy flat plate sockets that won't go in the back boxes, or they forget something, or they forget the bulbs to go in the lights or (and watch this one) the light fittings do not comply with building regulations (B, C, E and especially L) and Building Control will not accept them.

EDIT: Just thought of something as i was typing.
These downlights in the conservatory ceiling. How are you going to do that if the roof is full of Celotex?

- LABC wont like you hacking big holes out of the thermal characteristics.

i live in SE london. the builder has stated that building control are fine with cosy wrap in the ceiling so shouldnt be a problem for me.

- - - Updated - - -

i live in SE london. the builder has stated that building control are fine with cosy wrap in the ceiling so shouldnt be a problem for me.

If you can do it in the time you have allowed and your happy with the amount then I would say that price is ok, a bit of cable etc won't amount to much really

I certainly wouldn't say that was expensive m8

Depends on where you live. Prices in Chelsea and Cameronshire are much higher than Stoke (apologies to Stoke).

It's going to be 2 days. I'd want a bit more than £350.
ALSO point out to the customer that there will be additional cost if the fittings he supplies aren't suitable, or are not all there exactly at the time you want to fit them.
I always quake when the customer says they will supply materials - either they go and buy flat plate sockets that won't go in the back boxes, or they forget something, or they forget the bulbs to go in the lights or (and watch this one) the light fittings do not comply with building regulations (B, C, E and especially L) and Building Control will not accept them.

EDIT: Just thought of something as i was typing.
These downlights in the conservatory ceiling. How are you going to do that if the roof is full of Celotex?

- LABC wont like you hacking big holes out of the thermal characteristics.

Its also great when they say " we've got all the chrome switches/sockets but we couldn't get the fan isolator switch you asked for, can you get one and match it ours? "

I wouldn't fit halogen downlighters in a new, insulated, flat roof. (if thats what it is) I've seen cables melt due to the heat of the lamps. Try and talk them into LED.
I'd say you're too cheap if anything, especially if the customer is supplying materials.

Are these additions going on their own circuits or will you be making alterations to existing circuits?

If new then what is access like from the consumer unit? ie will you have to access from above lifting carpets and boards etc

If making alterations then I always do a full test on the circuits first to ensure that they are fit to add to which obviously takes more time but takes away any customer concern if faults are found because you have not interfered with any of the circuits. Try explaining that faults are present after you have already completed your work.... I'm sure they will argue that everything was fine before you touched it ;)

Whilst what you have listed doesn't seem like a lot I'm sure there may be important factors that have been missed out that could see someones estimate to as much as £800.

£500 would be an absolute minimum for me providing everything went really well and access was a doddle.

All the best and look forward to hearing what you decided to quote :thumbsup

Reply to estimating in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock