Discuss Ethernet Network query in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

KevA

Hi,

A customer has asked me to install a home Ethernet network for their internet access (they do not want to use wireless).

The network will consist of 3 access points, 1 desktop PC, 1 laptop PC and a Xbox 360.

I am going to use Cat5e RJ45 cables and sockets etc.

1) Can anyone recommend the best router to use?

2) Can anyone suggest somewhere to find a table containing
space/fill factor info. for min-trunking Cat5e able capacity?

3) What type of certification would be appropriate for this type
of installation?

Any help appreciated.

As there are only 3 bits of kit connected almost any router will do. I prefer netgear
There is no certification required
literally dozens of cables can be grouped together

Last edited:
marshall tufflex MT2 , as before any router ( netgear or belkin ) network cat5e testers from your local wholesaler ( £ 15.00)

I bought this kit when I first started doing them years ago.....not bad for a first buy.:)

http://www.NoLinkingToThis/sfd/i/cat/28/p1831028_x.jpg

at our local hospital as always very strict only 3 cat 5 per 25mm pipe also max 48 per bunch

i did a course with ortronics years ago when working on lloyds tsb they had so many rules for install and termination it was crazy:eek:

now you see it slung in rough as and it still works i think they were just trying to big it up:D

with regards to the op i have a belkin n150 router its been fine 60quid pc world
you wont need to worry about grouping the runs will be so short and 5e is well above what that sort of stuff will need
just a cheep continuity tester will be fine for your job

[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000PJ8OJA/ref=asc_df_B000PJ8OJA615450?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=7974&creativeASIN=B000PJ8OJA[/ame]

Last edited:
I've seen hundreds of metres of fibre cable just thrown into inspection chambers when the installer couldnt be bothered to cut and reterminate. Also at one place I was having problems with comms ( cat 5) and eventually found a great big coil of it in a loft space, making the run about 150 meters!!:confused:

Reply to Ethernet Network query in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net