Discuss Ethernet over power question in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

gazj82

-
Reaction score
I have a hotel that where I happen to look after the network aswell as the electrical installation, now I am well up on CAT5/6 and wifi and the such, but never had much xp with Ethernet over power adapters and would like some advice from those that have.

This is the situation, and what I would like to apply

EOP Adapter --- RING MAIN --- MAIN DB IN HOTEL (3P MCB FOR HOUSE) --- 20M CABLE --- MAIN DB IN OWNERS HOUSE --- RING MAIN --- EOP adapter

My question is do these things work over submains like this? Reading up it sounds like two adaptors can defintely be on different ring mains, but can they be on different boards? I would presume they would need to be on the same phases?

There must be a point where they stop working! Otherwise you could get your neighbours network through the grid wouldn't you.

Thanks in advance.

Dont know much about these but I'm interested in the answer as well.
They usually want you to put the adapters on the same ring but I know a guy at work who has one on the upstairs ring and the other is on a extension lead on the downstairs ring. That works.
Wouldn't like to say if they can work from different boards.

I have mine running from my house downstairs sockets through my DB1 to the Henley block on to DB2 to an out building then through DB3 to my workshop sockets. So you should be fine as mine works perfectly.

Thats all I wanted to hear, that someone has done another remote building through a couple of DB's. The guys is paying for a phone line and internet connection in his house that he really doesn't need.

Thanks you all for your help.

You could be a good guy gazj82 and click the thanks button for Forty4 post. Not many people do it nowadays.

i've give you a thanks as well, coz. it's something i didn't know.

Well I gave him a price for doing it and he has gone for it, when I get round to it, I'll report back and let you know how it went. :)

It should save him the cost of a line and isp in his house, so he won't be long getting his money back.

Reply to Ethernet over power question in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net