Discuss Ethernet points in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

000aces000

What's the best way to wire Ethernet points in a living room, I want to run four Ethernet points from my router to my tv area, are brush plates good to use or are the wall plates better to use?

Cheers guys

I would go for proper wall plates, they won't look like a giant spider struggling through a letter-box. :)

softedge-plus-4-gang-rj45-socket-52-800x500.jpg

And if you ever move the telly or don't need the ethernet cables you won't be left looking at this:

img1092u.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Same dilemma here.

I have bought the flush plates already with removable units but then considered the brush plate option...

Figured with the brush plate option people would probably try to pull on them eventually damaging the cable.

There are millions of ethernet cables out there which are terminated on faceplates at one end and patch panels at the other end, with patch cables at both ends. This is the normal way of doing the install so worry not about the signal, it will be fine.
Faceplates and patch cables are pennies so might as well do it nice and neat.

Dumb question what are patch plates? Is there anywhere I can learn about home networking any sites recommended guys??

And I need four points, one for tv one for Xbox one for sky and one for blu ray

Cheers

just try googling what you wanna know, also I'm sure YouTube would help a bit.
as for the 4 points- do you have a smart tv? and one for blu ray.. Forgive my ignorance, but why does a blu ray player need an Internet connection?

just try googling what you wanna know, also I'm sure YouTube would help a bit.
as for the 4 points- do you have a smart tv? and one for blu ray.. Forgive my ignorance, but why does a blu ray player need an Internet connection?

My blu ray has internet connection for you tube, netflix, etc its a bit of hardwork typing using the remote though

Do the Ethernet cables just plug into the wall plate? Do you lose any quality?

Cheers
Yes and no.

Now to terminology: technically, network cables are your fixed wiring back to your patch panel/router, flyleads go from your wall plate to your PC / DVD thing, and patch leads connect the fixed wiring at your patch panel to whatever it goes to. In practice, network cable, flylead, and patch lead all mean the same thing: a short length of network cable with an RJ45 plug on each end.

Reply to Ethernet points in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net