Discuss EU Brexit - How will you vote given the latest "news" in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Do you want to remain in the EU

• Yes - stay in

Votes: 18 17.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • No - time to leave

Votes: 81 78.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I did a bit of scratching around to see the arguments for staying in a for exiting. I haven't lived in the UK since half way through the Thatcher years so much of the finer points of the arguments on both sides were lost on me but the one thing I did notice is how differently the two campaigns are structured.

You've got the exit side pointing to many of the UK's current woes and saying how these would improve if you were out of the EU.

Then you've got the stay side who don't seem to be pointing to much apart from fear mongering about numerous years of reduced trade and possible recession. The biggest worry for me is that most of the noise about how UK should stay in the EU is coming from other countries. Everyone from France to the US to the G7 leaders seem to want the UK to stay. Obviously none of the above are looking out for anyone other than themselves so to me it looks like remaining is definately doing everyone else a big favour but I'm not seeing any evidence it would actually be good for the UK.

ha ha ha. The French Governments have ALWAYS made the UK's position difficult in the EU and if we stay they will be even more difficult.

If the UK leaves, the entire EU budget is screwed, and Germany and France WILL have to pay more to maintain the spending.... and France can't afford it.

Sure the UK leaving the EU will cause us temporary issues, but will also cause for some VERY difficult decisions in Brussels - and these are the ones that should be taken now...... The gravy train is about to come off the rails.........

A couple of reports out last week stated Germany would suffer badly from Brexit, one from a German bank has predicted Britain leaving the EU will cost the German economy almost £35 billion plunging the country into financial disrepair, the other from a leading credit insurer Euler Hermes who are based in Paris, according to Euler Hermes the German car industry would suffer a £1.5billion (€2bn) blow and the country's mechanical engineers and chemical industry would lose out on almost £1bn each, with this much at stake why did Dave achieve so little while renegotiating Britains position in the EU.

A couple of reports out last week stated Germany would suffer badly from Brexit, one from a German bank has predicted Britain leaving the EU will cost the German economy almost £35 billion plunging the country into financial disrepair, the other from a leading credit insurer Euler Hermes who are based in Paris, according to Euler Hermes the German car industry would suffer a £1.5billion (€2bn) blow and the country's mechanical engineers and chemical industry would lose out on almost £1bn each, with this much at stake why did Dave achieve so little while renegotiating Britains position in the EU.

The reports were based on the result of the inevitable down turn of the UK economy as a result of brexit.

Brexit could spark sharp rise in UK + EU insolvencies

The outers on here will now dismiss the reports authors as being in the pay of the EU, depend on the EU for their pensions, get work from the EU or whatever the dream up to dismiss yet another paper on the consequence of a brexit.

[h=3]A report also out last week by Lawyers for Britain written by some of the most eminent legal experts in the field said BRITAIN would be legally entitled to use existing trade deals worth billions of pounds even if the country voted to leave the European Union in June and discredits claims by Chancellor George Osborne that the UK would find it “very difficult” to renegotiate trade deals with 27 EU members and 50 global trading partners. The report was hailed as a game changer by the independent Institute of Economic Affairs think tank. It’s out for me.[/h]

A report also out last week by Lawyers for Britain written by some of the most eminent legal experts in the field said BRITAIN would be legally entitled to use existing trade deals worth billions of pounds even if the country voted to leave the European Union in June and discredits claims by Chancellor George Osborne that the UK would find it “very difficult” to renegotiate trade deals with 27 EU members and 50 global trading partners. The report was hailed as a game changer by the independent Institute of Economic Affairs think tank. It’s out for me.

No need to shout Silver.

There are plenty of studies and important individuals out there giving a good argument for a brexit.
There are indeed some good reasons for brexit.

I'll try to find the report that you are referencing and have a quick read.
What I will not do is trash the report's author's to make up for a lack of argument.

This in on Lawyers For Britain's website.

Fourthly, we would wish to negotiate a trade relationship with the EU in order to preverse existing trade patterns. Since we are the EU's best customer and buy far more from the EU than we sell to them, a free trade deal is more in their interests than in ours and we would have a very strong hand in negotiating free trade on fair and reasonable terms for our mutual benefit without having to pay any sort of "price" for the great "privilege" of continuing to buy goods from the EU without imposing tariffs or other barriers on them.

They don't mention a right to existing trade deals with the EU itself. It just gives their opinion that it will be in the EU's and UKs mutual benefit to carry on as it is now with no tariffs.

I think that's a very large leap of faith.

I can find nothing on the Institute of Economic Affairs website on all. I'm not saying it's not there, just that I can't find it.
Hardly hails game changer to me.

Because he didn't try very hard. This is a very good point, it would cause turmoil in the rest of the EU if we leave, and yet they seemed to treat "Dave" with a certain amount of casual disregard. It was a golden opportunity to get some REAL concessions and he's fluffed it. You could argue, however, that he is in a very difficult position. If they DID give us some proper concessions then maybe they would expect us to join the ERM and to be a part of the Shengan agreement, both of which would obviously be a disaster. The truth is that we have never really been committed to the EU, we need to either leave, or, in the unfortunate but probable likely-hood that we remain, we need to become properly involved and start to try and sort it out rather than leaving it to a bunch of unelected half wits.

[FONT=&amp]Sorry Andy did not mean to shout cutting and pasting changing fonts etc, but as I see it I ask myself one question, if we were not already in the EU and we were being given this chance to become a member would I vote to join the EU now.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp] Economically the EU is not strong at the moment it’s struggling with a very low growth rate, Greece, Italy and Spain have major economic issues too.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp] The single market is it all that it seems, restricting our ability to negotiate our own trade deals, with 28 countries to negotiate for it takes forever, I believe the EU trade deal with Canada is almost finished it has taken 9 years!!
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Britain is also pushing for a Latin American trade deal but other EU countries are blocking the deal to protect their own markets ie France not wanting Brazilian beef to be imported, it is said to be costing Britain £2.5 billion a year in lost revenue.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]We also have the migrant issue and half of sub Saharan Africa claiming to be refugees coming to EU because of Merkels naive invite, not to mention Turkey who are literally blackmailing Merkel and will almost certainly be fast tracked into the EU but that’s another story.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp] A recent EU report said Britain not building enough houses quickly enough, the European Commission warned the UK is heading for an ‘acute’ housing crisis caused by massive population growth. It admitted that first-time buyers were being hit particularly hard and the situation could worsen, with official projections saying the UK needs at least 220,000 new houses a year.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]The issue of sovereignty and the power that would be disappearing from our parliament
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp] On April 1[SUP]st[/SUP] 2017, 44 areas of policy will disappear from government control courtesy of the Lisbon treaty, the EU is a slow motion [/FONT]coup d'tat of our parliament, [FONT=&amp] plus the fact that the EU is so undemocratic , Junker has already stated the EUs intention to expand east as far as the Russian border and if the public do not like it tough we will do it anyway.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]I know these reasons are not half the story and there is no perfect solution, but I feel being out would at least give us the right to decide our own destiny and return real democracy to our shores. [/FONT]

When we are at such a massive crossroads for the country where it can be argued that neither the IN or OUT campign can predict what will happen then to get a better understanding as to the advice been dished out then what we can do is look at history itself, in fact the recent history of deciding not to join the Euro is ideal to find what we were told and by who and what the outcome actually was, here's a very interesting report if you can take time to read it, the scary thing here is its almost like De Je' Vue with the IN campaigns scare tactics with the same people giving the same doomsday stories and the BBC having a biased lean towards the IN in the way it reports and discusses the EU.
The great euro swindle | The Spectator

Last edited:
When we are at such a massive crossroads for the country where it can be argued that neither the IN or OUT campign can predict what will happen then to get a better understanding as to the advice been dished out then what we can do is look at history itself, in fact the recent history of deciding not to join the Euro is ideal to find what we were told and by who and what the outcome actually was, here's a very interesting report if you can take time to read it, the scary thing here is its almost like De Je' Vue with the IN campaigns scare tactics with the same people giving the same doomsday stories and the BBC having a biased lean towards the IN in the way it reports and discusses the EU.

Unbelievable it is deja vu and as you say with many of the same protagonists involved, a good read thanks.

Hit, nail and head spring to mind.

The BBC can't trusted on much these days when it reports the news and as for the "balanced" audiences for programs like Question Time and the shameful "debate" on the EU the other night - the "in's were very "ethnic" and the "outs" were very white.

Shame really as they used to be trusted by nearly all of us.

The BBC can't trusted on much these days when it reports the news and as for the "balanced" audiences for programs like Question Time and the shameful "debate" on the EU the other night - the "in's were very "ethnic" and the "outs" were very white.

That's exactly right Murdoch. They always seem to pick people who look like they have just come off an EDL march to represent the outs. I thought it was just me but obviously others have noticed, might as well call them the Biased Broadcasting Company.

That's exactly right Murdoch. They always seem to pick people who look like they have just come off an EDL march to represent the outs. I thought it was just me but obviously others have noticed, might as well call them the Biased Broadcasting Company.

ha ha.

That was my "name" on the BBC have your say until THEY changed it.

Are you talking about the debate at Chatham House Murdoch?

Are you talking about the debate at Chatham House Murdoch?

No the Victoria Derbyshire one last week.

This isn't anything new for the BBC. Back in 1997 I was in the audience for Question Time - the production staff made sure that all the white people were around the edges and centre of the audience was very ethnic mixed except white!

That Viccy Derbyshire debate was a joke. I like VD but I have to say the choice of audience was a joke, including the "we have built this country" comment from some suitably chosen 1st generation immigrant. What a load of rubbish.

That Viccy Derbyshire debate was a joke. I like VD but I have to say the choice of audience was a joke, including the "we have built this country" comment from some suitably chosen 1st generation immigrant. What a load of rubbish.

No the Victoria Derbyshire one last week.

This isn't anything new for the BBC. Back in 1997 I was in the audience for Question Time - the production staff made sure that all the white people were around the edges and centre of the audience was very ethnic mixed except white!

Just watched it. Can you please tell me where the bias was?
55 don't knows, 40 for remain and 40 for brexit. All in three well defined groups. The questions seemed balanced to me and the 4 people making the case (two from each side) seemed to me to have roughly the same opportunity to respond.

VD did say something that I thought was probably slightly out of order, but on the whole I thought she chaired it well.

Reply to EU Brexit - How will you vote given the latest "news" in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net