Discuss EV charger install audit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gavin John Hyde

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
Had an email today with the results of the OLEV homecharge scheme audit, some interesting bits in the report about things found when they audited a number of installs nationally.
Apparently they audited one of mine but I have not heard which or had a letter advising of any non conformity? By the sounds of the audit they were very specific on certain areas.
Anybody got any thoughts on the report?

Attachments

• Letter from minister.pdf
    260.9 KB · Views: 58
  • Domestic Chargepoint Audits 2019 - Final Report Issue 1 (Redacted).pdf
    3.8 MB · Views: 85
"The audit also indicated that some installers are charging considerably more than others. Where we consider the costs to be abnormally high we will remove installers from government grant schemes."

What business is it of theirs as to what is charged? Surely that is a commercial decision for the customer and not the business of OLEV etc.

"The audit also indicated that some installers are charging considerably more than others. Where we consider the costs to be abnormally high we will remove installers from government grant schemes."

What business is it of theirs as to what is charged? Surely that is a commercial decision for the customer and not the business of OLEV etc.
My thinking exactly, for example I charged 2.5k for an install recently as it involved scaffolding at cost of £480. an Andersen A2 at £1k cable and other materials was a few hundred leaving 3 days for the labour routing through a listed townhouse, making good and even painting the cable to meet the planing permission rules. there is no standard install

Agree with above it is customers choice end of day to pay or not Also install could be very awkward
Having read the report in some detail, some of the issues they are picking up are valid, they have in all but name carried out an eicr on the ev charger install and whilst I appreciate the need for a pre-works survey and checking bonding etc it sounds as if they are now saying carry out a much more in depth survey and keep records of these regardless of whether job goes ahead.
The old issue with earth rods has come up again. and was clarified in the regs come 18th edition.
The auditors it seems frown upon NYY cables no mention specifically on H07RNF but again every install is different.

The auditors it seems frown upon NYY cables
I noticed that. They even make a version with cat5e in the sheath designed for EV charger use!

NYY is used as a power cable for energy supply in static installations, indoors, outdoors, underground, in concrete and in water where mechanical damages are not to be expected.

After reading that report I'm glad I don't get involved with EV chargers!

That EV CU installed before the meter was cool though!

I don't know why they were concerned about the cutout having the lower cover missing when it has clearly been professionally repaired by BG!

I noticed that. They even make a version with cat5e in the sheath designed for EV charger use!

After reading that report I'm glad I don't get involved with EV chargers!

That EV CU installed before the meter was cool though!

I don't know why they were concerned about the cutout having the lower cover missing when it has clearly been professionally repaired by BG!
Well the installs audited will see the installers/companies getting letters from OLEV or cenex about the findings and any deficiencies in the install or improvements required. I am unsure which of mine they inspected have asked 2 customers from the time frame both said nope not heard from any auditor. so its one of 2 I think. happy with both installs to be fair. one was a right pig crawling beneath the floorboards running cable from front to back of the house. got a great Ra of 56 ohms which for Bath is excellent

About half way through the report and I have to say it is interesting reading so far as this only reflects the condition of a small percentage of the overall installs and makes you wonder what the rest of the installs are like in terms of reg compliance.
My question is do you have to be a member of one of the CP schemes to enable you to get grant payments from EVHS if so the findings IMO reflect badly on them and the companies involved.
I don't think the auditors and report authors are best placed to make an assessment of install costs when looking at the report the remedials necessary to carry out some installs could significantly add to the overall cost but may not be shown as an item cost on the invoice and again what is there median base reference cost based on

Will get back to reading the rest of the report later and will no doubt post again

I wonder what issue specifically they have with Hi-Tuff. They mention mechanical protection but don't elaborate. Was the cable buried directly I wonder?

Reply to EV charger install audit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net