Discuss EV charger loads? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

FatAlan

-
Trainee
Esteemed
Supporter
Reaction score
I have a client who’d like a cable installed in anticipation of an EV charger at some point in the future. No idea what charger it’s likely to be. Thinking of basing cable calculations based on a load of around 7.5Kw. Thoughts?

Duct is the way to go for 2 reasons.
7.5kw although probably average for today, may well be undersized in the near future.
New installs also have a Current clamp on the Incoming supply to the property for monitoring and future remote control of the E.V charger, so there will need to be another cable for that.

I was planning to put in a supply for my own property, ducting probably isn’t going to be possible. Any ideas how much the loads are going to be in the future? Presume this remote control cable will be a nominal size.?

Further to above. Client is having a small outbuilding that will only have a couple of double sockets plus light. Planning to mount small DB in there that will also incorporate feed to EV charger. Likely will have to split tails after meter and install switched fuse. Reckon 30-40 meter run as on opposite side of house.

YESSS sell SWA with data cable in it.

You dont neccasarily need a data cable also. Some chargers just work with the clamp and an APP or wireless controller. Other chargers can be set internally at what rate they charge so it doesn't have to be at max if you have demand and diversity issues.

Duct is the way to go for 2 reasons.
7.5kw although probably average for today, may well be undersized in the near future.
New installs also have a Current clamp on the Incoming supply to the property for monitoring and future remote control of the E.V charger, so there will need to be another cable for that.
The Zappi and I am sure others will copy them can use wireless ct clamps/hubs. Regardless of future charging technology you will be limited to the main fuse and what the battery can take.
Can Always opt for the EV ultra cable that has a cat5 or the more basic 2 core date a cable built in. Isn't cheap though.
I'd run a suitable cat5 or 6 cable with any swa if running ducting. Just in case WiFi signal is crap coem EV charger install
[automerge]1591653869[/automerge]

We find it no worse than SWA. Just with a bit more in it. Gland terminated into a plastic junction box with cat 5 left there for future use if required. 230V cables continue through into CU.
Presumably the data cable is shielded enough not to be interfered with by the main power conductors?

Reply to EV charger loads? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net