Discuss EV charger protective device in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Zdb

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm having trouble deciphering some manufacturer's specifications / installation instructions for a three phase dual 32A outlet EV charger.

The model in question is the W22 wall mounted unit:
Screenshot_20180611-112248.jpg

I can see that there are 2x 30mA RCD's inside the unit mounted on DIN rail.

I'm unsure about the supply protective device to be used. One data sheet says 2x 40A TYPE D MCBs and the installation instructions say 80A supply.

Anyone fitted one of these before?

Attachments

• Installation guide Posts and Wallmounts.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 7
  • Fastcharge-Wall-Mounted-Combined-2.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
2 x 40A outlets require a 80A supply. sssssimplesssss.

using a type D MCB would mean you'll need to select cable size, not only for 80A and acceptable VD, but also to have a low enough impedance , coupled with your Ze and/or Zdb to meet disconnection times

not got experience of chargemaster ev units... only installed evbox and rolec. with some you effectively treat it as a consumer unit, with each connection on its own rcd and mcb or rcbo. the cable supplying the ev charger sufficient for both connections.
on a different note there is no diversity allowed for ev chargers either and dont forget to tell the dno via uk power networks when you notify it aswell.

If the unit is rated up to or above 13.8kva it is a requirement to notify the DNO before installation. This is so they can map the installations and ensure their network can cope with the additional capacity.

The dnos are also regarding charging points as stores of energy. Each charged battery not being used potentially being called upon to feed the grid. In the not too distant future either

Reply to EV charger protective device in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net