Discuss EV Charging info in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

sythai

-
Arms
Reaction score
Sorry if this has already been covered..... I’ve tried searching with no luck !

I’m after some info please on what is required to get set up to install EV chargers. Been getting a lot of calls on this lately, x3 this week so far.

Any info on it would be handy pros/ cons/ costs etc.

Cheers Sy

Well lets wait, know some have been on courses recently. Lets see what they can recommend.

I have done the C&G course, simple enough to do. You then need to invest in a chargepoint test adapter (the Rolec one is around £400).
You also need to register with each manufacturer that you want to install, Rolec, PodPoint etc and do their training to get approval to install their equipment.
Once you have done that you need to register with OLEV in order to claim the grants.
I did all this 12 months ago and have only installed 2 chargepoints, most of the dealers will have agreements in place with big national companies so it is difficult to break into the market.
Also OLEV are not the quickest at paying out the grant money (mine took nearly 4 months each time) and if there is anything remotely wrong with the paperwork they will also delay payment.

Do you have to do a course?
Can you not just install an EVCP if you know what you are doing?
Or is this in relation to the grants and the need to be registered with OLEV?

Do you have to do a course?
Can you not just install an EVCP if you know what you are doing?
Or is this in relation to the grants and the need to be registered with OLEV?
You can install without the course etc but you will not be able to claim the grant for the customer which for a home install is 75% of the cost up to £500 so you would not be competitive for new installs.

As already covered you need to be in a scheme if installing home chargers as its notifiable.
For the olev schemes, you need to do acourse, city and guilds or a one day niceic thing. Then get manufacturer approval for each make via training days etc which is usually free. Some make you get the brands tester. Some makes will approve you for domestic chargers only if you arent NICEIC AC or equivalent.
Then apply to olev. Homecharge applications can be long as the paperwork is long. Workplace is much much easier.
You can fit one outside of olev schemes but as above you wont get the subsidy.
I have fitted 22 in the last year, between domestic and workplace ones. Its picking up and got more to quote for.

Can't see much call for ev in Devon. In most areas, the battery would flat before you got back from popping out for a loaf.

Bit more affluent in Bath. I bet some of those ev's struggle to climb some of those hills though.

As already covered you need to be in a scheme if installing home chargers as its notifiable.
For the olev schemes, you need to do acourse, city and guilds or a one day niceic thing. Then get manufacturer approval for each make via training days etc which is usually free. Some make you get the brands tester. Some makes will approve you for domestic chargers only if you arent NICEIC AC or equivalent.
Then apply to olev. Homecharge applications can be long as the paperwork is long. Workplace is much much easier.
You can fit one outside of olev schemes but as above you wont get the subsidy.
I have fitted 22 in the last year, between domestic and workplace ones. Its picking up and got more to quote for.

Thanks Gavin appreciate the helpful feedback ;-)

I have done the C&G course, simple enough to do. You then need to invest in a chargepoint test adapter (the Rolec one is around £400).
You also need to register with each manufacturer that you want to install, Rolec, PodPoint etc and do their training to get approval to install their equipment.
Once you have done that you need to register with OLEV in order to claim the grants.
I did all this 12 months ago and have only installed 2 chargepoints, most of the dealers will have agreements in place with big national companies so it is difficult to break into the market.
Also OLEV are not the quickest at paying out the grant money (mine took nearly 4 months each time) and if there is anything remotely wrong with the paperwork they will also delay payment.

I've just completed a job installing three 7.2 kW chargers in a commercial environment under the Workplace Charging Scheme. I'm dismayed to have now discovered that I'm going to have to wait four months for payment of the £1500 grant money from OLEV. I certainly won't be undertaking any more grant jobs, that's for sure. That's a lot of money to have to initially lay out, and a sum that will impact negatively on my cash-flow for the next quarter.

The whole grant scheme would appear to a bit of a con anyway:

The Great UK EV Charger Grant Mystery

The chargers that I installed were Rolec EVWP2026/WCS at a cost of £715.25 per charger. The 'WCS' part of the code denotes that the charger will come complete with GPRS metering equipment and a 3 year guarantee. These two conditions have been imposed by OLEV, and if you don't comply, you don't get paid. The standard model EVWP2026, however, can be bought for £389.99 from this wholesaler. So that's £325.26‬ of the grant gone straight away to cover the cost of the GPRS metering equipment.

Ergo the customer has in actuality been given a grant of £174.74. And since any business or organisation who are awarded an OLEV grant are obliged to monitor the usage of each and every charger and forward the usage data to OLEV on a monthly basis, one has to ask if the inconvenience of doing so is worth it for the sake of £174.74. Some will say it is, others will say it is not. Indeed, I've just won a job to install another charger of the same make and model for a different client who doesn't want to go through the grant process for this very reason. It is this type of customer to whom I will be marketing my services in future.

Informative.

I suspect, if I stay around a bit longer, that my next vehicle will be a hybrid or in bit longer, all electric. Guess I’ll be paying someone to install it

As an aside, much does it cost, to charge a car?

Hi - I’m thinking it’s £5 to £10 for a charge.

Just based on 14p per kW, a 40kW battery, with 80% overall charging efficiency (my guesstimate of losses in cables, charger battery and the battery itself) giving £7... it’d be interesting to hear what the real costs turned out to be :) .

Informative thread.

Slightly off topic but someone posted about an EV charging unit a few weeks ago that didnt require the use of an earth rod.

Does anyone know the make and model or have datasheet for it?

Thanks

The 'WCS' part of the code denotes that the charger will come complete with GPRS metering equipment and a 3 year guarantee. These two conditions have been imposed by OLEV, and if you don't comply, you don't get paid
This is so the government knows where they are and when you use them, so they can tax you when the oil revenue drys up. So some customers could be speculating on savings later. But they'll get you some other way in the end.

This is so the government knows where they are and when you use them, so they can tax you when the oil revenue drys up. So some customers could be speculating on savings later. But they'll get you some other way in the end.

That was precisely my conclusion too.

Up until 1st July, the installation of GPRS smart-metering and the provision of a three-year warranty on the EV charger(s) was applicable only to chargers installed under the Workplace Charging Scheme. But from that date the same conditions now apply to chargers installed under the Home Charging Scheme. So in effect, there is very little financial gain for the customer. The lion's share of the grant money that the customer receives will be eaten-up by the additional costs of having to install an EV charger on a three-year warranty alongside a GPRS smart meter. Indeed, the £500 grant doesn't even cover the cost of the charger itself. A con if you ask me.

Reply to EV Charging info in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock