• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Discuss EV charging question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

leebut

Regular EF Member
hiya chaps

I did a City and Guilds course, practical assessment and exam for the CG2919 on Monday and Tuesday, we were told about the difficulties with ensuring the safety of the charging equipment especially regarding the earthing in domestic properties, lots of discussions were about using the isolating transformer instead of converting the existing property to a TT system.

My question is which isolating transformers do you EV guys use typically looking at supplying a 7 Kw charging unit, where do you get them from and what is the cost of them.

Regards

Lee

freddo

Regular EF Member
Plenty of companies sell isolation transformers, for 7KW it will be large, heavy and expensive.

leebut

Regular EF Member
Bill01803

The issue isn’t conversion of the clients property to a TT system, if there is any class 1 light outside fittings or bonded pipes to gas or water within 10 metres of the charging point you have the risk of dangerous touch voltages under earth fault (possibly from neighbours property etc) it’s part of the risk assessment you have to carry out prior to installation.

EV installation not straight forward external influences play a big part of installation, if you change the property from a PME to TT there’s always a risk of another electrician who doesn’t know the legislation on EV installation puts the PME connection back.

Also some ground conditions you would struggle to get the earth potential acceptable for the EV installation, hence why in the installation it’s easier and straight forward to install an isolating transformer.

Lee

bill01803

Regular EF Member
“Puts the PME back”

I don’t think you should be concerned about what another electrician may do in the future, as long as it is correct when you have completed your work.

Jim_e_Jib

Regular EF Member
Unfortunately I’m in the UK so postage would be expensive, there are units available in the UK that are fitted to a standard din rail
I don't think units that fit to a standard din rail would be 7KW isolation transformers.

Reactions: DPG

spinlondon

Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
I was not aware the requirement is to change an existing installation from PME to TT?
I thought the requirement is to make just the EV charger TT?

bill01803

Regular EF Member
I think he is concerned about touch voltage between the class 1 fittings so considering TTing the whole installation

dmxtothemax

Regular EF Member
I can understand not wanting to get involved with checking and changing electrical instalations and then being responsible for that instalation to some degree. but it;s not that easy with a 7kw load involved, that's not exactly a trivial load, and any transformer of 7kw capacity will be large and expensive, so there is NO easy way out. I say forget the trasformer idea ! it's just not practicle.

DPG

Respected Member
Electrician's Arms
DIY
OP, could you clarify - were you meaning make the whole house electrical system TT?

leebut

Regular EF Member
I can understand not wanting to get involved with checking and changing electrical instalations and then being responsible for that instalation to some degree. but it;s not that easy with a 7kw load involved, that's not exactly a trivial load, and any transformer of 7kw capacity will be large and expensive, so there is NO easy way out. I say forget the trasformer idea ! it's just not practicle.

Check out the wiring regulations on EV charging it’s the only sensible way to go with PME unless the DNO can guarantee that there will never be a damaged cable to the neutral you need to carry out a risk assessment on the installation, I did my City and Guilds 2919-10 on Monday and Tuesday this week and going through the regs the only solution is to go down the isolating transformer (been told there’s a small unit that does 7Kw that fits a din rail unit ( not in a CU) that’s around the £200 +Vat price range just trying to find who sells it)

DPG

Respected Member
Electrician's Arms
DIY
I'd like to see a 7000 watt transformer that would mount on a DIN rail. Not saying it's impossible but can't imagine it

Electrician Talk

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers
Electrical Insurance
ElectriciansForums.net (formerly known as ElectriciansForums.co.uk) was setup in April 2006 to provide free electrical advice to both professional and DIY electricians. Whether seeking advice for auto electrics, trying to find electrical installation condition reports (EICR) form downloads, or whether you're here just to talk to other electricians; we've been a first-choice website for tens of thousands of sparkies for well over a decade.