Discuss EV charging question in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I did the course, the regs say you can’t install on a PME supply due to the risk the earth might fail
No they dont and it was that I was trying to tease out of you. If the charger and charging is to be indoors then PME can be used. If you ddi the course you'll have the IET GN on the matter - see page 39. Your comment is correct (sort of) for outdoor charging but you did not reference PME and outdoor charging.

No they dont and it was that I was trying to tease out of you. If the charger and charging is to be indoors then PME can be used. If you ddi the course you'll have the IET GN on the matter - see page 39. Your comment is correct (sort of) for outdoor charging but you did not reference PME and outdoor charging.
99% of installations are going to be external installations where you can’t use PME, Yes I do have the guidance notes, if you look at my post #15 I’ve photographed and highlighted the pages from my Guidance on installation of EV AND YES I HAVE READ ABOUT INTERNAL INSTALLATIONS.

so does your comments mean you would install an EV charger in someone’s porch at the front of their house and the car be outside and that’s acceptable NO!!

the vehicle is to be charged in the garage with the charging point in the same garage, now be honest is that your normal installation again NO!!
[automerge]1574437157[/automerge]
99% of installations are going to be external installations where you can’t use PME, Yes I do have the guidance notes, if you look at my post #15 I’ve photographed and highlighted the pages from my Guidance on installation of EV AND YES I HAVE READ ABOUT INTERNAL INSTALLATIONS.

so does your comments mean you would install an EV charger in someone’s porch at the front of their house and the car be outside and that’s acceptable NO!!

the vehicle is to be charged in the garage with the charging point in the same garage, now be honest is that your normal installation again NO!!
EV charging question 5291BAE2-5211-41D8-8F8E-F26F5EF11B03 - EletriciansForums.net
[automerge]1574437230[/automerge]
EV charging question FA0F3C29-225B-44EE-A561-F14A8D28FB80 - EletriciansForums.net
And there you go that’s my proof I did my 2919 course

Your post #15 does not support your statement that PME is not allowed, it clearly says that a PME connection can be used when certain requirements are met.

So PME can be used subject to certain requirements,

We are not allowed to quote regulations anymore but 722.411.4.1
Basically says a PME earthing facility shall not be used unless one of the following methods are used......
The third indent (iii) is the one that the Zappi charger and others appear to have complied with which in a nut shell disconnects the Live conductors as well as CPC from the charging point in the event of a PEN fault.

I haven't done the course, so happy to be corrected.

Last edited:
Your post #15 does not support your statement that PME is not allowed, it clearly says that a PME connection can be used when certain requirements are met.

So PME can be used subject to certain requirements,
My point was I was being accused of NOT doing the course or having the Guidance notes book on EV charging so I flicked back to see the post where I had copied in my Guidance notes that was all!!

No need to get worked up. And I don’t think accused you of anything. I was trying to highlight your original statement was not correct. In your defence you’ve now added lots of caveats to justify it.

apologies if I upset your sensitivity.

Can some one expalin to me then if the PEN connection is lost supplier side how does not all the bonded conductive parts become live? Why such focus on the EV charger point?
The only reason for highlighting the EV issue on a PEN conductor loss, is the car charging is exterior to the property and is a 7Kw load that’s at full load for the duration of charging process

Can some one expalin to me then if the PEN connection is lost supplier side how does not all the bonded conductive parts become live? Why such focus on the EV charger point?
The bonded parts would be within the equipotential zone though, so with adequate bonding hopefully the touch voltages won't rise too much and give rise to the risk of electric shock.

However outside a person charging an EV is likely to be in simultaneous contact with true Earth, and with the MET at a dangerous potential owing to the PEN fault.

Bill01803

The issue isn’t conversion of the clients property to a TT system, if there is any class 1 light outside fittings or bonded pipes to gas or water within 10 metres of the charging point you have the risk of dangerous touch voltages under earth fault (possibly from neighbours property etc) it’s part of the risk assessment you have to carry out prior to installation.

EV installation not straight forward external influences play a big part of installation, if you change the property from a PME to TT there’s always a risk of another electrician who doesn’t know the legislation on EV installation puts the PME connection back.

Also some ground conditions you would struggle to get the earth potential acceptable for the EV installation, hence why in the installation it’s easier and straight forward to install an isolating transformer.

Lee
I think you will find its 2 meters Lee, not 10.
Regards, UKPN

Reply to EV charging question in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock