CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Everything to know about the 17th Regulations in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hello, another post about the 17th edition regulations, I don't want any discussions going on in here please ( I beg ya ). Just a list of the new regulations/changes etc, see how long it'll go before someone starts chatting on it. I'll start it off

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RCD's
- Required for s/o of up to 20amp or less for the use by ordinary persons (unless labelled for a specific purpose such as a "freezer only"

- Required for s/o up to 32amp feeding equipment outdoors

- Buried cables in safe zones LESS than 50mm from the surface UNLESS earthed metallic protection Provided

:)

Special locations;

Zone 3 no longer defined,

Each circuit in special location must have 30mA RCD protection,

Supplementary bonding no longer required provided main bonding is in accordance with chapter 41,

Socket outlets now allowed in locations containing bath/shower 3m horizontally beyond boundary of zone 1.

E

electro

Everything to know about the 17th Regulations is in the red book but i can't find the info I need. The red book is the hardest book to find stuff in...

S

SimonCTS

Supplementary bonding not required if all electrical acessories are protected by 30ma rcd...is this true?

S

Shakey

Supplementary bonding not required if all electrical acessories are protected by 30ma rcd...is this true?
presumably in a bathroom

30mA RCD
AND meet their disconnection times
AND 1667ohms or less for any extarneous paths back to MET
AND main protective bonding is in place

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
am not against discussion or anything, explaining n re-interpretating a comment is fine by me, to be honest I just wanted a list of things to know, so that when someone comes an views "everything to know about the 17th" that they don't have to read through all this to get to the good bits if you know what I mean, like a reference guide or like a refresher post on the 17th, theres a few other discussions on the 17th's, its just sumit I'l just have to keep pruning, so don't take offensive please if I delete a post ;) just pruning the thread. so far so good. maybe when it gets really long, i'll merge some of the posts into one or sumit

.....thread continued,

S

sparkymark

volts drop has now changed!
3% for lighting circuits, 5% for all others! everyone forgets about this one!

S

Shakey

volts drop has now changed!
3% for lighting circuits, 5% for all others! everyone forgets about this one!
rememeber, for Public supplies only

I have worked on a lot of private genny supplies, and these are different V drops (higher percentage allowed);)

Added content 17th

p20 Definitions - Basic Protection
p24 Definitions - Fault Protection
p28 Definitions - PV

Although basic and fault protection has replaced direct and indirect, I find it funny how the definition describes it as indirect and direct contact in the context.

Breakers can now be used primarily as a switch, means of isolation or emergency switching.

RCM's have now entered the Red book, monitoring devices

S

Shakey

Added content 17th

p20 Definitions - Basic Protection
p24 Definitions - Fault Protection
p28 Definitions - PV

Although basic and fault protection has replaced direct and indirect, I find it funny how the definition describes it as indirect and direct contact in the context.

Breakers can now be used primarily as a switch, means of isolation or emergency switching.

RCM's have now entered the Red book, monitoring devices
RCM's AND IMD's are new

definitions have gone up from 170 to 260 (approx)

no more 3036 fuses for the ordinary person

insulation tests must now be carried out between live conductors and the CPC 'connected to the means of earthing', so no more IR checking of tails on a new CU????

?Building sites? where abouts does it say that you can use 240v as long as its on RCD? (its what i've heard n not found yet)

S

sparkymark

Look at the note below. its says it is preferable to use 110v still tho

S

Shakey

whats an RCM ?
Residual Current Monitor

Think of like an RCD (actually its more like the old ELCB's) that doesnt trip but gives a warning of problems, its used with IT systems

Think of the scenario of an electro-magnetic carrying scrap cars around a scrap yard; tripping off the power when there is a problem is PROBABLY not the best option......:rolleyes:

A

aldo

Hello, another post about the 17th edition regulations, I don't want any discussions going on in here please ( I beg ya ). Just a list of the new regulations/changes etc, see how long it'll go before someone starts chatting on it. I'll start it off

- Buried cables in safe zones LESS than 50mm from the surface UNLESS earthed metallic protection Provided

:)

must start by sayin am not too familiar with th forum...is there anythin in 17th that mentions the need to use steel conduit when the socket is at the other side of a wall of a classroom say...unless it is within 150mm from corner of a room, cornice or boxed in steel column etc
???????

F

fog

New insulation resistance minimum = 1.0Mohms, not 0.5Mohms.

L

lister

socket outlets ALLOWED in BATHROOMS.......... that wil be handy for that plug in convector heater i got from argos.....NOT

S

Spudnik

socket outlets ALLOWED in BATHROOMS.......... that wil be handy for that plug in convector heater i got from argos.....NOT
They are allowed 3 METERS from Zone1 (i think).

And the same goes for plate switches instead of pull cords.

J

johntom

Hi
called into my local wholesaler today and noticed some wylex boards 'on offer'. The salesman said they were 16th edition because they only had 1 rcd ! Unless iv'e missed something there's no mention of the number of rcd's in the 17th edition ? integrity of supply perhaps?

Last edited by a moderator:
R

RETIREDSPARKY

What no comments on maintenance free joint boxes!!!!

M

masauso.zimba

could you give me link for a free download of the IEE Wiring regulations

S

skirby

Hi Guys. This is my very first post. there is quite a lot covered in this link...
Changes from the 16th

A

adam.h

Hi
called into my local wholesaler today and noticed some wylex boards 'on offer'. The salesman said they were 16th edition because they only had 1 rcd ! Unless iv'e missed something there's no mention of the number of rcd's in the 17th edition ? integrity of supply perhaps?
funny enough I am just about to ask about this!

From what i understand if the circuits satisfy the regs ie mech protected, deeper than 50mm, surface mounted in trunking, in ceiling voids etc, etc. Then there is no need for RCD protection otherwsie you have to. Also split from upstair and downstairs so need 2 rcd's

not 100% so dont quote me on this

S

skirby

We often use Wylex 12 way split load CUs (with one RCD) and include 2 or 3 RCBOs.

I think that the 16th/17th edition label is just wholesalers jargon. It makes it sound like they know what they are talking about when in reality they only know what they need to know.

Don't forget all domestic socket outlets require RCD protection.

M

Mac

could you give me link for a free download of the IEE Wiring regulations

Last edited by a moderator:
SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers

Reply to Everything to know about the 17th Regulations in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network
Top Bottom