Discuss Everything to know about the 17th Regulations in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello, another post about the 17th edition regulations, I don't want any discussions going on in here please ( I beg ya ). Just a list of the new regulations/changes etc, see how long it'll go before someone starts chatting on it. I'll start it off

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RCD's
- Required for s/o of up to 20amp or less for the use by ordinary persons (unless labelled for a specific purpose such as a "freezer only"

- Required for s/o up to 32amp feeding equipment outdoors

- Buried cables in safe zones LESS than 50mm from the surface UNLESS earthed metallic protection Provided

:)

Special locations;

Zone 3 no longer defined,

Each circuit in special location must have 30mA RCD protection,

Supplementary bonding no longer required provided main bonding is in accordance with chapter 41,

Socket outlets now allowed in locations containing bath/shower 3m horizontally beyond boundary of zone 1.

Everything to know about the 17th Regulations is in the red book but i can't find the info I need. The red book is the hardest book to find stuff in...

Supplementary bonding not required if all electrical acessories are protected by 30ma rcd...is this true?

presumably in a bathroom

30mA RCD
AND meet their disconnection times
AND 1667ohms or less for any extarneous paths back to MET
AND main protective bonding is in place

am not against discussion or anything, explaining n re-interpretating a comment is fine by me, to be honest I just wanted a list of things to know, so that when someone comes an views "everything to know about the 17th" that they don't have to read through all this to get to the good bits if you know what I mean, like a reference guide or like a refresher post on the 17th, theres a few other discussions on the 17th's, its just sumit I'l just have to keep pruning, so don't take offensive please if I delete a post ;) just pruning the thread. so far so good. maybe when it gets really long, i'll merge some of the posts into one or sumit

.....thread continued,

Added content 17th

p20 Definitions - Basic Protection
p24 Definitions - Fault Protection
p28 Definitions - PV

Although basic and fault protection has replaced direct and indirect, I find it funny how the definition describes it as indirect and direct contact in the context.

Breakers can now be used primarily as a switch, means of isolation or emergency switching.

RCM's have now entered the Red book, monitoring devices

Added content 17th

p20 Definitions - Basic Protection
p24 Definitions - Fault Protection
p28 Definitions - PV

Although basic and fault protection has replaced direct and indirect, I find it funny how the definition describes it as indirect and direct contact in the context.

Breakers can now be used primarily as a switch, means of isolation or emergency switching.

RCM's have now entered the Red book, monitoring devices

RCM's AND IMD's are new

definitions have gone up from 170 to 260 (approx)

no more 3036 fuses for the ordinary person

insulation tests must now be carried out between live conductors and the CPC 'connected to the means of earthing', so no more IR checking of tails on a new CU????

whats an RCM ?

Residual Current Monitor

Think of like an RCD (actually its more like the old ELCB's) that doesnt trip but gives a warning of problems, its used with IT systems

Think of the scenario of an electro-magnetic carrying scrap cars around a scrap yard; tripping off the power when there is a problem is PROBABLY not the best option......:rolleyes:

Hello, another post about the 17th edition regulations, I don't want any discussions going on in here please ( I beg ya ). Just a list of the new regulations/changes etc, see how long it'll go before someone starts chatting on it. I'll start it off

- Buried cables in safe zones LESS than 50mm from the surface UNLESS earthed metallic protection Provided

:)

must start by sayin am not too familiar with th forum...is there anythin in 17th that mentions the need to use steel conduit when the socket is at the other side of a wall of a classroom say...unless it is within 150mm from corner of a room, cornice or boxed in steel column etc
???????

Reply to Everything to know about the 17th Regulations in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net