Discuss EVSE risk assessment in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

newfutile

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I have been tasked with inspection of testing of our 2 vehicle charging points.
other than the standard ZS and rcd times , does anyone know what additional testing may need to be conducted?

also we have a TNC-S supply with an outside metal tap about 2.5 metres away from 1 of the chargers , is this a problem?

i know at least 1 of the chargers has PEN fault protection , does this require testing in any way?

TL;DR
Required periodic test? EVSE
Do you also have a copy of the Code of Practice for electric vehicle charging?
It will be difficult to properly test and inspect an EV chargepoint without the proper equipment and training.

The standard EICR form is not best suited - electraform do the best form in my view for this but its for install rather than periodic, so needs some alterations.
You need to test the circuit, confirm it has been installed in line with manufacturers instructions and the Code of Practice.
Unless familiar with the charger you will need to read the instructions.
The functional test, which is where a test adaptor is good as it simulates all the different charge states. Perks of having your own EV is that when testing other chargers you can basically get a free charger out of it!!

Does the charger with rest of install place too great a load on the supply capacity, phone or email dno and check they know about the charger, you would be amazed how many arent recorded.
earthing systems, rcds all this has to be considered.
I have attached a copy of the basic ev charger install certificate from electraform to give you some idea...

I have been known to spend a few hours testing and inspecting a couple of chargers, you check the origin of supply out to each charger, the earthing, load management, functional tests, connections inside, with all that current and heat its surprisingly common to find loose terminals. if over tightened they mas as well leave the connections loose if the ends aren't crimped as it becomes so thin, the wires burn out. Check the IP rating, You need to look at the earthing system, especially as a lot of people used the 'not reasonably practical' get out from the 17th ed to avoid fitting rods so a lot of chargers are on PME with no PEN fault or Rods.

Attachments

• evdw-20220507160246.pdf
    123.1 KB · Views: 27

Reply to EVSE risk assessment in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net