Discuss Ex army plumber needs part p and 17th in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

armyash

Hi all

I am a member of the plumbers forum but after some electrical advice.

I have had a read of the sticky ex forces thread, very useful.

I am looking to do Part P and 17th edition this year using my army funding so that i can do the electrical side of any plumbing jobs I get.

What revision would you all recommend I do prior to doing the courses? I could possibly get on Part P at the end of March or I can wait until September.

I have very minimal experience of wiring (have wired up boiler, programmer, room stat etc)

I am working my weekends with a plumber now to get experience so don't think I am going to be going off bodging jobs and causing problems :D

Any advice would be appreciated thanks.

Test and inspect would be a start. Even registering a defined scope, which is what you'll be doing, you still need to know how to test circuits and fill out minor works certs properly.

You cant 'do part P'....it's a building regulations document,not a qualification. You can download part P online,read it and you will know part P. Dont be fooled by expensive part P courses which are meaningless as a qualification and simply a scam preying on the general misunderstanding of part P.
Planning Portal - Approved documents

Last edited by a moderator:
All the course is aimed to do is teach the building reg. You'd be better off buying The 'IEE Electricians Guide to the Building Regs' and reading it cover to cover a few times over

Seriously? So what course would I need to do to be able to do the electrics on shower/boiler etc?

You dont need any course to do the work. But if you want to be able to self certify and register your work check with your chosen scheme what qualifications they require...(NIC..ELECSA...NAPIT etc).
Alternatively if the work comes under part P notify BC before commencing work and pay the fee for them to inspect and register your work.

Now i'm even more confused!

I've been led to believe that after completing Part P then I would be able to do my own wiring on the jobs mentioned already. I know that 17th edition is the regs but I have been told that things are changing and both are required.

Sorry I'm really not thick (promise) but can some explain in very simple terms for me exactly what I need. I am a qualified plumber but when I do boiler installs etc and the electric side of things need to be done what actual qualification do I need?

I don't want to waste money on things that are not neccessary. Just the quals to do the work.

Many thanks

As wirepuller says

To self certify you will need to register with a scheme provider who normally ask for Part p, 17th Edition and a testing and inspections cert. Check with anyone of them (NICEIC, NAPIT ........etc) as to what qualifications they require

Another way is, if the work has to be notified to Building Control then tell before the job starts and pay the fee for them to inspect and register your work.

Or find a friendly spark

As wirepuller says

To self certify you will need to register with a scheme provider who normally ask for Part p, 17th Edition and a testing and inspections cert. Check with anyone of them (NICEIC, NAPIT ........etc) as to what qualifications they require

Another way is, if the work has to be notified to Building Control then tell before the job starts and pay the fee for them to inspect and register your work.

Or find a friendly spark

Ok thanks for the info!

NMc is partly correct. to certify your work, you need to join one of the scheme providers. nicic, elecsa or napit. all of these will want you to have 17th Ed. and be competent with inspection and testing, producing certificates , etc. you will need at least a couple of jobs for assessment. if you are only doing electrical work related to plumbing, then there is " defined scope". best bet would be to contact elecsa and determine from them the requirements. do not waste time on a part p course.

As others have said.
You can't do a Part P qualification.
Download a copy of it from the government portal in PDF form.
If you've qualified in plumbing the terminology should be familiar to you.
You need to have an understanding what works are "notifiable" (or part p if you like), and what that means as far as having the job signed off fully with building control.

As others have said.
You can't do a Part P qualification.
Download a copy of it from the government portal in PDF form.
If you've qualified in plumbing the terminology should be familiar to you.
You need to have an understanding what works are "notifiable" (or part p if you like), and what that means as far as having the job signed off fully with building control.

I'll check that out thanks. I'm very confused now though as I always thought Part P was a qualification needed to be allowed to do own sparky work on boilers etc. driving me mad now! :D

Have a look at all the building regs.
Part P just one of them.

Part P however places limitations on what work can be carried out and by who.
The qualifications you need will enable you sign off the work that comes under "part p".

Its a classic misunderstanding that the training centres prey on.

They sell you the part P course, and of course, you've heard that you have to be part P 'qualified' so you think great. Then on the last day of the course they tell you "ok heres you're part P qualification, afraid it alone is meaningless, you're still not allowed to do squat. You now have to start a company, get insurance do some jobs, spend £1000 on test equipment pay £500 a year, be assesed etc etc. Oh sorry did we neglect to mention that when we sold you the course" I know a lot of plumbers, chippies etc who fell into this trap and none ended up being Part P registered and actually doing their own electrical work.

To answer your question, as far as I know, if you do a part P course and a 17th Ed course you are applicable to apply to be registered if you do all of the above.

When people say you have to be 'part P' to do electrical work, they mean part P registered not Part P qualified. There is no qualification in the world that allows you to legally do notifiable domestic electrical work in england with paying building control a fortune to supervise you.

Its a classic misunderstanding that the training centres prey on.

They sell you the part P course, and of course, you've heard that you have to be part P 'qualified' so you think great. Then on the last day of the course they tell you "ok heres you're part P qualification, afraid it alone is meaningless, you're still not allowed to do squat. You now have to start a company, get insurance do some jobs, spend £1000 on test equipment pay £500 a year, be assesed etc etc. Oh sorry did we neglect to mention that when we sold you the course" I know a lot of plumbers, chippies etc who fell into this trap and none ended up being Part P registered and actually doing their own electrical work.

To answer your question, as far as I know, if you do a part P course and a 17th Ed course you are applicable to apply to be registered if you do all of the above.

When people say you have to be 'part P' to do electrical work, they mean part P registered not Part P qualified. There is no qualification in the world that allows you to legally do notifiable domestic electrical work in england with paying building control a fortune to supervise you.

Thanks, very helpful i'll dig around a bit more before I commit to anything.

Reply to Ex army plumber needs part p and 17th in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock