Discuss Examples of, anyone? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

the pict

-
Mentor
Reaction score
Can anyone give me examples of
"Use of electrical seperation to supply an individuall item of equipment",
and as above for more than one, I have read through 418.3 etc but I cannot find an example, I know that it is outside the remit of BS7671 to provide examples for everything, the book would run to several volumes, however a few examples would help
Pict

Yes in a domestic situation the shaver point is selv but it is the "provision of a SELV circuit" I should have asked what in your experience in a commercial environment are examples you have come across equipment wise and why was it seperated and how,
Pict

Absoulutly correct Richard, I stand corrected, I was thinking of the seperated aspect, but I really must pay more attention, more caffiene required
Pict

Good one Davey, to be honest I am struggling to find any other than similar to your suggestion probably schools colleges etc, elv lighting apart
Pict

Hi pict, try 110 V tranny for electrical hand tools, low voltage transformer for 12v downlighters, high/ low voltage transformers in substations, transformers for door bells, mobile phone chargers from the 90s ( not the modern ones you get today cos they aren't sepparating, really), ...

Blackely units in schools.

Although they don't supply one item they are for bench sockets usually.

Separated circuits, as suggested by others, don't have to be SELV.

Any circuit that employs the use of a isolating transformer where there is no earth return path on the secondary side. Hand tools, pumps compressors, used in cable tunnels where there is restricted access/movement see section 706

To be honest, a shaver socket does not really fit the bill as an example.
A better example would be a bell circuit that uses a transformer that fits into a CU.

Why do you say its not a good example? They have 2 outputs one of 230v and the other 110v, both fed from an isolating transformer, no earth conection. In my eyes its sole means of protection is electrical seperation, its not relying on selv or any other means. your bell example is using selv as its main means of protection.

Why do you say its not a good example? They have 2 outputs one of 230v and the other 110v, both fed from an isolating transformer, no earth conection. In my eyes its sole means of protection is electrical seperation, its not relying on selv or any other means. your bell example is using selv as its main means of protection.
A shaver socket is not an individual item of equipment that is supplied via a separated source.
An item of equipment plugged into the shaver socket would be supplied by a separated source, however such an item would fall outside of the scope of BS7671.

however such an item would fall outside of the scope of BS7671.

Can you point to where please, as i have always put on Domestic EICR's that the shaver point was a form of electrical seperation. and on comersial I would use a site transformer as electrical seperation. The NIC has never told me I was wrong. But I always like it if they are :)

I would have said a shaver socket is a better example than a door bell - a door bell would be SELV. Separated yes, but also ELV which wasn't asked for.
A shaver socket is probably the example they're looking for.
An isolating transformer supplying more than one item of equipment could be a site transformer.

Both a shaver socket and a site transformer are examples of a source of electrical separated supplies.
However neither are individual items of equipment suplied by electrical separation.

Reply to Examples of, anyone? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock