Discuss Excellent Wiring !!!! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi

Took this picture of some new wiring in my nieces house ( 1930s build ) done by a qualified electrcian , allegedly ! .
It is located on the underside of the 1st floor floorboards .

Spike

Attachments

• Excellent Wiring !!!! wiring jaquelines ceilin - EletriciansForums.net
    wiring jaquelines ceiling.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 198
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that will be a nice surprise for someone if they try and lift a floor board

Why would they lift a floor board when there is no ceiling? It’s been painted as if there never was a finished ceiling on there
[automerge]1574158101[/automerge]
Just to add, If it was me installing I would clip to the joist.

if that were my property, i'd board betwen the joists, leaving 2-3" exposed below. sanded and stained.

Above that is the living room , the room below is where you walk into the 3 story house , maybe I have not explained it properly but how on earth can you lay a cable direct to the underside of the floor boards , whatever level it is , surely that is against the regs ? .

Spike
[automerge]1574167710[/automerge]
Why would they lift a floor board when there is no ceiling? It’s been painted as if there never was a finished ceiling on there
[automerge]1574158101[/automerge]
Just to add, If it was me installing I would clip to the joist.
It is going to be boxed in later on , I think half way down a joist height !
[automerge]1574168213[/automerge]
There is no ceiling and it’s all accessible. What else have you found?
My opinion is that the cable should of been clipped to at least 50mm down along the joist !

Last edited:
Indeed, although very common!

If they are only going to notch down such a small distance ( I would never ever do that though ) they should put in place some safe plates etc .
[automerge]1574176388[/automerge]
Well guys , thanks for all your feedback on this post .

The next question is , would you agree or not , that I should say to my niece that she should get the sparky back in and do it properly , being, clip cable to beam 50mm from top and remove JB .

And re feed cable across the beams at the end , through the beams , 50mm below floor boards ( there is holes already drilled through some of the beams were there had been cable through before !) .
What do you all think should be done or not done ? .

cheers

Spike

If they are only going to notch down such a small distance ( I would never ever do that though ) they should put in place some safe plates etc .
[automerge]1574176388[/automerge]
Well guys , thanks for all your feedback on this post .

The next question is , would you agree or not , that I should say to my niece that she should get the sparky back in and do it properly , being, clip cable to beam 50mm from top and remove JB .

And re feed cable across the beams at the end , through the beams , 50mm below floor boards ( there is holes already drilled through some of the beams were there had been cable through before !) .
What do you all think should be done or not done ? .

cheers

Spike
agree with the above. do it once... wrong. do it twice.... right.

Can't see why they would have lifted the boards and notched the joists when it is open underneath. Strange.

Can't see why they would have lifted the boards and notched the joists when it is open underneath. Strange.

Existing Notches maybe.

And was the Sparky aware of the ceiling being boarded, maybe he / she wanted to keep the cable well out of the way.

Existing Notches maybe.

And was the Sparky aware of the ceiling being boarded, maybe he / she wanted to keep the cable well out of the way.
Not sure if they new that or not , but in my opinion it is not accepted to have cable running under and attached to the floor boards , the cable should be clipped to the joist at least 50mm below , I am nearly sure there is a reg mentioning this ! .

Reply to Excellent Wiring !!!! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock