Discuss excessive amount of downlights blowing in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

jase

I finished a rewire in september and scince then a tennant has moved into the house and she is complaining about the amount of GU10s that keep popping, there are 30 in total over 2 circuits, she also reckons that a G4 table lamp that is plugged into a socket has also blown twice scince she has been there and there is a G4 under cabinet light that she says has blown, does anyone know what the tolerances voltage wise are on these lamps? i measured 240v coming into the CU, if there were any voltage surges would they blow? are there any monitoring devices that would record if and when surges were happening?

I would check the gu10's I have come across ones that either throw the heat forward or behind the lamp and if you fit the wrong ones for the fittings they blow very quickly, did a job once, changed the lamp an even before I got off my steps the new lamp had blown, call to wholesaler who told me About the difference. Could be a starting point, and also cheap lamps I found blow quickly too

when gu10 blows customer is going to go b&q or poundland and get cheapest they can get. they will last for a week or less.
change some for led or cfl.

Landlord doesnt want to pay for LED, cheapskate as most landlords are, what about the G4 table lamp? she reckons shes never had to replace the lamp in that as many times as she has had to scince she moved in there

Landlord doesnt want to pay for LED, cheapskate as most landlords are, what about the G4 table lamp? she reckons shes never had to replace the lamp in that as many times as she has had to scince she moved in there

Hi,
It may be worth checking the voltage rating of the lamps as i had some that were 230volts

Two reasons usually - as stated there are diferent types. In a domestic situation you should (usually?) be fitting Aluminium Reflector ones, obviously these reflect the light down. A big problem is heat build up. The other sort are Dichroic I believe and do not reflect the heat down, it goes up, and builds up, they are designed for a different purpose.

The biggest issue I had was with MR11's as these are more likely to be sold as Dichroic. I fitted 54 in a new ceiling (for a builder, in his kitchen of course) and they popped like you would not believe.

We found some well priced AR ones and it was like a breath of fresh air.

I said two reasons - other is muck, I think they are supposed to be fitted (like halogen bulbs) with a plastic sucker / not by hand. So if they're cheap, and mucky, and not AR, they baint be lastin' long

PS not sure about surges. I would have guessed, given the state of the National Grid (creaking) that you're more likely to experience a 'brown out' or loss of Neutral on PME.....

Reply to excessive amount of downlights blowing in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock