Discuss Excessive heat off Syvania LED GU 10 lamps in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

Octopus

As the title says really. My hairdresser has a number of these, retro fitted into downlights and they are failing often. From what I could tell today they were exceptionally hot, as was the surrounding metal casing.

My best guess is to bin the fire rated enclosures to reduce the heat?? ( they are used in a "display" area so the fire rated requirement is't needed.

Any ideas?

Maybe check the operating voltage.... What do you call hot? Are they uncomfortable to hold?

The problem is not the fitting. The problem is the heat sink of the GU10. Take them back to the wholesale and get some new ones. LEDs only get hot if the heat sink fails

"failing often" is what he has stated. I didn't supply or fit these but have to other people with no issues.......

as a rule LEDs run at around 100 degrees, but with the correct heatsink they will disperse all this heat and appear to run at around 20 degrees. if LEDs run at a temperature over 30degrees the LEDs wont last and keep failing. as I said above the problem lays with the heatsink. just install new LED bulbs. also what is the supply voltage?

as a rule LEDs run at around 100 degrees, but with the correct heatsink they will disperse all this heat and appear to run at around 20 degrees. if LEDs run at a temperature over 30degrees the LEDs wont last and keep failing. as I said above the problem lays with the heatsink. just install new LED bulbs. also what is the supply voltage?

I was only there for a hair cut so didn't have time to investigate further...... so I'll go back and take some tools and my tester. I did wonder if the fire rated enclosure was "too small" for the LED fitting and hence why they are getting so hot.

Thanks for you input, its appreciated.

the fire rated enclosure will only have an effect on LEDs if they are running to hot in the first place! The supply voltage may have something to do with the change heat generated and also the make up of the LED Power supply within. If it has an isolating transformer then there should not be an issuer but there are some very cheap crap out there which uses resisters to reduce the voltage down to 12v d.c. these run hotter than the isolating transformer type and should not be trusted. Be warned that there are some now being sold by pound stretches and 99p store for next to nothing not mentioning some on ebay! The LEDs which are installed can I have some more info on them? Do they have 3 chips or up to 20 chips? Are they GU10s or MR11/16? This information you should be able to tell by just looking at them without removing! MR11/16 or GU10 maybe not!

How would you accurately measure the temperature of the LED while it's running? Be handy to know...

Only using an IR thermometer but to be honest if they feel hot you have a big problem! The chip is not what degrades, the power supply is what is the issue always! Heat makes resisters, capacitors and diodes breakdown

the fire rated enclosure will only have an effect on LEDs if they are running to hot in the first place! The supply voltage may have something to do with the change heat generated and also the make up of the LED Power supply within. If it has an isolating transformer then there should not be an issuer but there are some very cheap crap out there which uses resisters to reduce the voltage down to 12v d.c. these run hotter than the isolating transformer type and should not be trusted. Be warned that there are some now being sold by pound stretches and 99p store for next to nothing not mentioning some on ebay! The LEDs which are installed can I have some more info on them? Do they have 3 chips or up to 20 chips? Are they GU10s or MR11/16? This information you should be able to tell by just looking at them without removing! MR11/16 or GU10 maybe not!

They are Syvania LED GU10's!

Definitely not from Poundland

Would an infra red thermometer be accurate when measuring a light source that may contain infra red?

Can't comment about IR thermometer as I never tried it, a touch test is all I do and is more than enough to be honest. If they feel hot then they prob are. I only said about £land as OP said he not looked to much into them as no tools so what source did they get Syvania from

Can't comment about IR thermometer as I never tried it, a touch test is all I do and is more than enough to be honest. If they feel hot then they prob are. I only said about £land as OP said he not looked to much into them as no tools so what source did they get Syvania from

Rexel Senate.

Reply to Excessive heat off Syvania LED GU 10 lamps in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net