Discuss Excessive voltage drop, HELP in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pojtek

DIY
Reaction score
So, I have encountered strange problem. Thing is when I connect load with power about 30w my voltage goes from 227v to 170v it is single phase system. Wires are brand new and thick enough. Is it maybe a problem in power company transformer voltage stabilizer or something else. Im also curious if will 1000va 110-230v voltage stabilizer fix this problem. Thanks in advance.

Where are you measuring this drop at the start or end of the circuit. I find it difficult to believe a load of 30w would result in a drop of nearly 60v. Do any other loads give the same result.

Last edited:
30W on 230V consumes 30/230=0.13A approx.
Drop (227-170) = 57V suggests 57/0.13= 440 ohms resistance in the supply.
This is a faulty connection, or something incorrectly connected in series with the supply; it's not ordinary voltage drop (unless the circuit is 25 kilometres of 1.0mm² cable).

I have triple plug, load is connected to first plug and I measured voltage on second plug and reading is 170v
what is the voltage on the 1st plug, where the load is connected? this suggests that the N to 2nd plug is not connected and floating, giving you a false reading.

30W on 230V consumes 30/230=0.13A approx.
Drop (227-170) = 57V suggests 57/0.13= 440 ohms resistance in the supply.
This is a faulty connection, or something incorrectly connected in series with the supply; it's not ordinary voltage drop (unless the circuit is 25 kilometres of 1.0mm² cable).
Well thing is its connected to triple plug and when i mesaure first and second plug voltage was 227 until i connected load, soon as i connected load second plug gives reading of 170v, I am also sure it is not load failure. Also I connected 100w load and reading on second was 80v. Could it be that power company transformer failed?

what is the voltage on the 1st plug, where the load is connected? this suggests that the N to 2nd plug is not connected and floating, giving you a false reading.
Voltage on first is 227v, they are connected in parralel. This is my triple plug
[automerge]1599671795[/automerge]
Is this happening elsewhere in the property.
Yes, my appliances dont work, I mean this one work barely, and soon as i connect another load both stop working

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200909_191215_com.android.chrome.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 20
What happens when you turn the lights on.
Everything was working properly until i came home today and nothing is working now i am trying to figure out problem, and started with this 30w load and found out that voltage drop is massive for no reason, i checked wiring and Everything is in place and how it should be
[automerge]1599672967[/automerge]
Everything was working properly until i came home today and nothing is working now i am trying to figure out problem, and started with this 30w load and found out that voltage drop is massive for no reason, i checked wiring and Everything is in place and how it should be
Can I buy voltage stabilizer, Will this help?

Last edited:
voltage stabilizer won't help.finding the fault is top priority.

Last edited by a moderator:
if you are skilled and confident enough to do it, plug in something to the outlet that is not working.

test the voltage at various points, between live and neutral starting at the device plugged in and working back step by step towards the electricity meter.

there is likely a bad connection at some point.
this will become obvious when on one side of the connection reads aprox 230v and the other side is significantly lower.

my bet is on the triple adaptor or the socket outlet you are plugging in to.

if you are skilled and confident enough to do it, plug in something to the outlet that is not working.

test the voltage at various points, between live and neutral starting at the device plugged in and working back step by step towards the electricity meter.

there is likely a bad connection at some point.
this will become obvious when on one side of the connection reads aprox 230v and the other side is significantly lower.

my bet is on the triple adaptor or the socket outlet you are plugging in to.
So I figured it out, turns out I have 3 phase transformer nearby, went to check voltage in box and problem is that only one out of three phase have voltage, phase to phase is 0v but phase to ground is 230v on only one phase, other 2 phases have 0v to ground and to phase. Do you maybe know if that is causing a problem, I tried Everything.

Sounds like you might need to call an electrician, the fuses could have blown for the 2 phases with no power, possibly because of a short between the 2. Or there is a fault with the transformer. If the fuses have blown the wiring should be checked before replacing them.

Reply to Excessive voltage drop, HELP in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net