Discuss Export Tariff in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Does anyone know what happens to the export tariff after the FIT period on an installation expires?

Could an installed 50kWp system carry on selling the generated electricity after the fit contract expires (ie 20 years)

Thanks for your replies in advance:yes:

I reckon you'd be able to sell your generated electricity on the open market to whoever might want to buy it. You might be able to auction it off somehow to the highest bidder.

This is a fair distance into the future but that's the direction I think we're heading in. Electric cars and trains will require a lot of juice to get them from A to B.

good point on the after FIT's scenario.

Maybe we ought to still use a 25 year payback estimator, as export + offset is still going to be worth a fair chunk of money in the 20-25 year period.

You already can sell your export on the open market if you want to, remember they'll all want hh (half hourly) metering, and some DNO's also may limit export depending upon demand.

So generally only the people above 30kWp (deemed limit) tend to consider this. In practive, all of our 30-50kWp system have so far opted out of export income (export FiT can be a seperate contract from generation) as they consume almost all of it.

By then of course we'll actually have the german style smart grid for managing prodcution/export.

I can't get the SAP ROI any better than 7% on 4kWp South. Its a hard sell now !!

Think smart, what are you selling against? What are your USP's what are your buyers motivators and UBP's.

What do your (potential) customers want? - Why would they buy? Do they want a Solar PV system? (probably not - very few peole last year bought beacuse it was green..) Do they want a gauranteed return? An insurance policy against energy price increases?

Thinks what will motivate them to buy now and then show them how to get it..

(All the above is standard sales training..)

Speaking as someone who has just got a (small) PV system installed the reasons were primarily to try and safeguard against energy price rises by offsetting some of the consumed energy by energy we generate.
Of course I would be lying if I said the FIT wasnt appealing to me, but after 25 years then what? Well wth luck the system will have paid for itself and any maintenance costs also by then, but what of its efficiency?
I doubt the same system will be operating at anywhere near the output it currently its, so I will be looking to replace the panels again more than likely, or will it just be a case of "it generates enough to feed the house" and leaving the system as it is as its unlikely much will be exported by which stage I may well be happy with the thruppence ha'penny being paid by the Intergalactic Norweb Federation.

Of course Im talking purely from the perspective of someone with a small 2.5kWp system, those with much larger systems may well be generating a large surplus even 20 - 25 years hence.

Reply to Export Tariff in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net