Discuss Exporting Supply To Garage Extension, Cable Sizing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Need to supply a cable for a garage extension,

'Plumber' has proposed 2 x 10mm T+E in 100mm ducting along with a water pipe, with no CU at the garage.

This will eventually be marketed as an annex which will include but no limited to, 1 shower (power unspecified), 1 electric water heater, possible multiple mounted wall heaters, macifier, lights and 12 sockets. The client at this point in time will also be storing 18 motorbikes inside so it could be used as a work shed for tools etc.

Would a 16mm armoured or 25mm armoured run in the ducting instead of the 2x 10mm T+E with a CU in garage be a more suitable choice taking volt drop into consideration??

You will need to specify a little more information please.

DNO supply type and size.

Extraneous parts in the garage?

Length of sub-main run and installation methods?

Total loading in the main house building?

Total loading in the garage for what you are doing and expected expansion?

Why no CU in the garage surely this is a deffinite requirement?

TN-S
80A main fuse, 25mm
None
Installation Method D
40m run, Installation method in house B
Total load of entire installation expected to be within 80A

Is it a requirement? Presumably I would think so, with a separate earth electrode for the garage. Could you point me in the right direction of BS7671 so I can inform the client?

Appreciate the quick reply

Why don't you take a look through BS7671 yourself then come back to us with your findings. Then we can point you in the right direction..

Proposed works for next year, so can be part of one of the scams.

Can't find specific regulation regarding extensions apart from the obvious (do danger, to persons, property, livestock) and existing installation must meet requirements of additions and alterations.

I would design it incorporating 16mm or 25mm (depending on loading) two core armoured through the 100mm ducting feeding a sub-main CU, rather than the plumbers 2 x 10mm T&E. Bearing in mind a water pipe is travelling in the same duct.

Have been advised of use of Earth rods as this surpasses the event of a fault travelling from the garage through the house. Any exposed/extraneous conductive parts can use the Electrode.

Any help would be appreciated.

Its funny that I have seen this post on here,

I done a similar job as part of an install not to long ago,

we used a 10mm cable twin and earth (grey one) in ducting.

Simple, three letters FCU. Avoids any consumer units so no need to notify anyone

Simples!! Hope this helps

Simple, three letters FCU. Avoids any consumer units so no need to notify anyone

Me thinks that you should read the thread from the begining before making such statements and if you have read the thread from the begining STOP giving advice

If you have the regs you'll know that "showers" are notifiable - but I suspect you spend your money on feeding your horse.

Proposed works for next year, so can be part of one of the scams.

Can't find specific regulation regarding extensions apart from the obvious (do danger, to persons, property, livestock) and existing installation must meet requirements of additions and alterations.

I would design it incorporating 16mm or 25mm (depending on loading) two core armoured through the 100mm ducting feeding a sub-main CU, rather than the plumbers 2 x 10mm T&E. Bearing in mind a water pipe is travelling in the same duct.

Have been advised of use of Earth rods as this surpasses the event of a fault travelling from the garage through the house. Any exposed/extraneous conductive parts can use the Electrode.

As Sintra says have a look at the BGB and list us your conclusions

Need to supply a cable for a garage extension,

'Plumber' has proposed 2 x 10mm T+E in 100mm ducting along with a water pipe, with no CU at the garage.

This will eventually be marketed as an annex which will include but no limited to, 1 shower (power unspecified), 1 electric water heater, possible multiple mounted wall heaters, macifier, lights and 12 sockets. The client at this point in time will also be storing 18 motorbikes inside so it could be used as a work shed for tools etc.

Would a 16mm armoured or 25mm armoured run in the ducting instead of the 2x 10mm T+E with a CU in garage be a more suitable choice taking volt drop into consideration??

Let the plumber do the job and sign it off. FFS!

Is there any advice (not FCUs everywhere!!) that may help me defeat a plumber who intends to use part p to take this work?

is there any justification in using 2x10mm cables instead of my proposed 16mm or 25mm cable?

How does fitting a FCU make it non notifiable? Also I'd love to see that 10mm terminated into said FCU.

Is there any advice (not FCUs everywhere!!) that may help me defeat a plumber who intends to use part p to take this work?

is there any justification in using 2x10mm cables instead of my proposed 16mm or 25mm cable?

Err, remind the PLUMBER its an ELECTRICAL job and he should restrict himself to unblocking toilets?

Reply to Exporting Supply To Garage Extension, Cable Sizing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net