Discuss Exposed live wire in cooker wall socket in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
So I fitted a new metal faceplate switch on the wall socket for my cooker. All went well. As I'm also tiling I took it off a few days later, and noted some of the live wire insulation rubbed off presumably by me screwing the screws in when assembling. I have read of this before, first time hrs happened to me.

I have as an immediate fix put some red electrical tape over the bare wire. Is this enough to do? Should I replace the live wire so its undamaged,if so any particular thickness?

I did see all the sockets had earth cable from face to backbox.

What happens say I didn't note it and the live cable touches the screw holder plate- does it shock you on the faceplate or trip the fuse at the cu?

It should cause the protective device to trip.
However if the short is severe enough, it can also melt some of the CPC.
So when you reset the trip, the face plate would be live but the CPC is damaged and the protective device won’t trip.

if you have some bare copper showing on a "live" cable ( and that means both the L and the N, fit some heatshrink of the appropriate colour over it, 2 layers if necessary.

Don't use adhesive tape of any colour, it comes unstuck after a while.
Sleeving is what you need.

PS We dont use red any more, its brown now.
Red tape is just used by plumbers to mark a cold pipe, or is it the hot one?....
it's so confusing this plumbing stuff..

Hi John - if you can post up a pic and we might be better placed to advise on next steps. I'm a bit concerned for you as it's now got a metal front, so please make sure it's off at the Consmer Unit before taking it off the wall.

Sleeving for sure. Needs sorting as you state the metal faceplate is a concern (even in plastic, I would use sleeving and more care with the screws).

You said that some of the insulation 'rubbed off'.
They're not old rubber insulated cables where the rubber has degraded so much that it disintegrates when you touch it?

Well, being as how you are in Eire or Ireland or wherever I would just keep my head down and hope to God that the electrical police don't come round tomorrow.

It’s alright he’s in the North lol.

Wires are 19 years old, not in a bad state. Pretty satisfied I done it screwing the faceplate back on. Have ordered a heatshrink kit so with cover it better that i have with tape.

You said that some of the insulation 'rubbed off'.
They're not old rubber insulated cables where the rubber has degraded so much that it disintegrates when you touch it?

Reply to Exposed live wire in cooker wall socket in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock