Discuss Exposed T and E's during test. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to this forum and can't find an exact match to my search.
I am new to testing and inspection and have come across a db mounted in a garage on the wall whereby the t and e's for all circuits are clipped direct to the wall before entering the ceiling approx 1m above.
Is this deemed as a C2 or C3 on test cert?

Thanks.

I have to ask, what’s your electrical experience and qualifications?

What do the regulations referenced in section 4.16 have to say about the example of wiring you are inspecting ?

Hi Andy. Thanks for your help on this. Really appreciated. I have re-read the sections in the regs and they refer to mechanical strain, not mechanical protection as I had read it earlier too hastily.

Last edited by a moderator:
The outer sheath is classed as mechanical protection. The environment the cables are installed in will dictate if it is sufficient mechanical protection. For example T&E clipped on a wall at high level with nothing around it would not warrant any code. T&E clipped just above a shelf used for heavy items may warrant a C2/3.

Thank you. I perceived the regs incorrectly.

A code maybe deemed necessary if the top of the consumer units IP rating (IP4X) is compromised where the cables enter the enclosure

might not warrant a code, unfortunately there isn't a code for an eyesore. it's R.A.F. ( Rough As F*CK)

On an older existing installs I am not overly fussed about clipped direct so long as it shows no evidence of damage.
I have clipped twin and earth in my garage from new been there for 30+ years and absolutely fine with this.
Same with older installs with non rcd on the lighting I am not overly concerned.
I have non rcd lighting.

Now if in the OP the cable sheathing was all chaffed and bashed up I would suggest so over capping

Reply to Exposed T and E's during test. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock