Discuss Extending 1.5mm and 2.5mm cables in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

LHensh

DIY
Reaction score
I'm needing to extend the cables I have coming from my garage fuse board as I am wanting to move the position of the first switch and socket in the circuit.

Would extending via Wago 222 connectors housed in a Wago junction box so the job for both?

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be a far more professional job if you were to replace the sections of cable in their entirety.
That would be the ideal, but that would require me to replace the cable that is currently connected to the fuse box, something I wasn't planning on touching. Unless people here tell me it's no more complicated than wiring into a fitting?

I'm comfortable changing things beyond the fuse box and then having someone out to test my work

In a garage where 99% of cables will be run surface clipped or in conduit it is possibly easier to pull out the short bits and replace with longer bits thus to avoid unnecessary jointing

But if the op is more comfortable cutting and joining , then a wago box screwed to to a joist is fine

In a garage where 99% of cables will be run surface clipped or in conduit it is possibly easier to pull out the short bits and replace with longer bits thus to avoid unnecessary jointing

But if the op is more comfortable cutting and joining , then a wago box screwed to to a joist is fine
Ok I’ve just read the op properly instead of skim reading. If it’s in a garage where cables are clipped direct/conduit then yea just replace the cable don’t even know why this is a question tbh 😂 unless you have a monstrous garage just replace the cable. If it was a more difficult situation and not easy to run new cable then joint box is not a problem.

Ok I’ve just read the op properly instead of skim reading. If it’s in a garage where cables are clipped direct/conduit then yea just replace the cable don’t even know why this is a question tbh 😂 unless you have a monstrous garage just replace the cable. If it was a more difficult situation and not easy to run new cable then joint box is not a problem.

The OP responded to this suggestion in post #5.

It's a garage fuse box, so presumably not too complicated inside, and isolatable elsewhere, so I can't see why a competent DIYer shouldn't venture inside it and change cables like for like.

Your suggestion was that a DIY member, who made clear they wish to carry out this work themselves, should replace cables to their CU.
I would never suggest a diy member does anything with electrics. As you know from my previous years on here I am strictly against any unqualified/ incompetent person touching electrics to save themselves a few £££. My apologies I did not even look at his status. My final answer to the DIYer - GET AN ELECTRICIAN IN. 👍

It's a garage fuse box, so presumably not too complicated inside, and isolatable elsewhere, so I can't see why a competent DIYer shouldn't venture inside it and change cables like for like.
I have my doubts I don’t believe anyone without suitable training/experience should be touching any electrics I didn’t take note that the guy was DIY always get an electrician in.

Sorry but i cant believe people are advising the OP to go messing around in a C.U....No MFT No torque screwdriver no idea ....FIRE

It's a garage CU - probably 2 or 3W at most, and will be isolatable elsewhere. Barely more complex than the wiring of a FCU on a RFC.
Over the years I've worked for several small time developers, a few of them on multiple occasions. A semi derelict property, where I specify and install the electrics and plumbing, while they, personally, do everything else. Some of these I would happily let them do most of the second fix, while others I wouldn't let change a lamp in a lamp holder

But some DIY work is far superior to that of some "electricians", made all the worse by 'part p', which now gives them authority.

I agree wholeheartedly with that sentiment, but the point was about advising someone of unknown competency. In that regard I'd consider it prudent to err on the side of caution as small mistakes can be deadly - either immediately or at some time in the future.

Reply to Extending 1.5mm and 2.5mm cables in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net