Discuss Extending 10mm shower cable in the loft ?? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Cant agree more jimmyboy, i tailor my advice to suit the competence of the OP and when i dont know il ask or air on the side of caution even if it means teaching them to suck eggs, in this case it was clear the level the OP sits at just by his opening post and hopefully while ignoring the intermediate banter he'll be aware of where he stands regarding extending his shower circuit.

Just curiosity to OP (jimmyclew250), what are your thoughts now and have you made a decision on how you are going to move forward with this job?

Gottta admit i've started to wonder at times the legalities of giving advice over forums lately.

For example XdiyX comes here and asks how to do something......XsparksX gives some advice not knowing the full extent of the job (due to limited discription).....it all goes wrong and when XdiyX gets asked why they turn around a say 'XsparksX on electricians forum told me that would be right!'.

maybe just me thinking to hard about it but could it cause some problems legaly?...doubtful and hopefully not but who knows?

Then on the other hand as no sparks can possibly know everything (whatever some may claim) i'd hate to see sparks not being able to get good solid advice from these forums.

Now you know why I am sooooooo careful ! If some numb nut wants to extend a shower circuit with a 5A choccy, well so be it,but I ain't gonna tell him to do it with a 60A just to find said person is dead because the shower went pop.
J

Now you know why I am sooooooo careful ! If some numb nut wants to extend a shower circuit with a 5A choccy, well so be it,but I ain't gonna tell him to do it with a 60A just to find said person is dead because the shower went pop.
J

So really its just about covering our own arses ?? :nonod:

could be worse, jimmy. he could convert to a gas shower and blow the whole street up.

Well people like me and many that are a good ten miles in front of me in the experience world come on here and give advice for FK ALL so now thats a problem ?, listen up, no one is obligated to help anyone,if you don't like the advice then jog on.
J

It's also about covering the OP's arse. If it's pointed out on the forum that there are legal obligations as well as the safety aspects, they may not know the full implications of extending a circuit, they can then make an informed decision on how to proceed.

Hi Guys
Thanks for advice and other ummm banter,
just to clear up I have just qualified as an electrician and first time I have come up with this problem so I thought Id ask some professionals for advise before going ahead and just doing!! This is why I have joined this forum as I feel it is better to ask than get it wrong !! There is only so much you can learn at college and firmly believe that 99% of learning is done at work !! I wondered if you were allowed to use a JB or it was frowned up on like so many grey areas in electrics, But thanks for all the replies made good reading !!
Jimmy

It would be different if it was advise solicited by them and paid for by them
I can't see how blame could be attached to anyone giving advise to a numpty on a forum

I remember Tony Blair saying the Iraqis were about to nuke us,he was not only wrong he was lying and he was getting paid to know his onions

Reply to Extending 10mm shower cable in the loft ?? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock