Discuss Extending 10mm shower cable in the loft ?? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

jimmyclew250

Hi
Can I have some advise
Can I connect via junction box or similar 10mm shower cable in the loft as moving the shower and dont want to replace the whole cable? (but moving the shower will result in cable being to short )
Is this allowed and what will I need
Best Regards
Jimmy

The professional way would be 10mm through-crimps with heat shrink insulation sleeving over the crimps and individual cores and a further sleeve heat-shrink with moisture barrier covering complete joint with overlap.
alternatively an adaptable accessible box with din rail mount, 60amp dinrail mount connectors and fully labled up lid.

Also welcome to the forum and from your query i assume you are not an electrician but due to the nature of this heavy load i would consider professional help as in call an electrician as a poor joint could be a fire hazard, he will also check the existing is safe and complies with 17th regs. Peace of mind that your family is safe using shower is always worth the cost.

To note also is the shower is in what is regarded as a special location and it is illegal for you to wire or alter any circuit to such locations.... so call a qualified registered electrician.

as above post, i would use one of the large 60A Junction boxes to extend.

not like your adding any more circuits or anything just simply moving the shower

if your not sure about things then get a sparks in to do the job.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't believe people are encouraging him to do this ! He's extending the circuit,which effectively means he needs to do all the testing on it ! Tell him to go to B&Q and ask someone in an Orange jump suit lol
J

of course he needs the testing done after moving to verify the circuit.

but the chances are if hes asking this question he wont have the equipment to test.

but 90% of the time they will still go ahead and do the job no matter what advice is given !

i have come across a 10KW shower extended using 30A connector blocks with tape.

there wasn't much left of the connector blocks lets say ! lol

as above post, i would use one of the large 60A Junction boxes to extend.

not like your adding any more circuits or anything just simply moving the shower.

if your not sure about things then get a sparks in to do the job.
If you are making alterations, extending or making additions to a circuit in a special area as the OP is then it is notifyable, what if the existing is without rcd and/or dosn't comply in other ways, with your comments you have just told a DIY'er to put his family and house at risk, poor advice in the least.
Its easy to have opinions regarding certain jobs but as a forum we should sometime refrain from our own views to give good advice.

If you are making alterations, extending making additions to a circuit in a special area as the OP is then it iis notifyable, what if the existing is without rcd and dosn't comply, with your comments you have just told a DIY'er to put his family and house at risk, poor advice in the least.

I get it...all my fault now ! haha some of you guys on here make me laugh.

at least if hes going to do it, he will use a proper JB and not some choc blocks or something !

FFS !

get shot down for saying anything on here. god knows why im even on here !!

I will stick my head above the parapet ...I don't think professional electricians should be advising people,that usually, but not exclusively are DIYers on how to carry out work that is way beyond their ability,it's dangerous,some what irresponsible, and is bad for the trade, I wont say I have never done it, but not any more, it's getting like a DIY forum on here for have a go sparkies, not good IMHO. Some will disagree with me but thats my take chaps sorry.
ATB J

surely these forums shouldnt be out there then if advise shouldnt be given to the less knowledgeable people out there. if your qualified you should already know all of this sort of stuff.

i think there would be less dangerous DIY work if they didnt pick up ideas off the forums ??

surely these forums shouldnt be out there then if advise shouldnt be given to the less knowledgeable people out there. if your qualified you should already know all of this sort of stuff.

i think there would be less dangerous DIY work if they didnt pick up ideas off the forums ??

What could be more dangerous than a circuit like that being extended, not tested, no earth possibly, no RCD functioning , Zs crap, disconnection time out the window, someone stands in bath BANG,so tell me how by telling him to use a 60A connector suddenly makes this alteration now so safe ?
J

I get it...all my fault now ! haha some of you guys on here make me laugh.

at least if hes going to do it, he will use a proper JB and not some choc blocks or something !

FFS !

get shot down for saying anything on here. god knows why im even on here !!
Never said anything was your fault??... just relaying the fact the OP is clearly not an electrician, the manner of your comment POST 6 give a suggestion to OP to just go ahead and do it just because everyone else does, then your next post expresses 90% will go ahead and do it regardless of our advice.. well that may be so but its not an excuse to ive poor advice, we are here to assist where we can and explain the bounderies when needed when ask a question, if you feel your getting shot down all the time then maybe you need to look at the contents of your posts and not cry victim, if you dont understand what this forum is about sit back and read through various threads or dont bother at all, youll find anyone else including myself will get shot down for crap advice but just take it on the chin and hold your hands up too it like most do.

Never said anything was your fault??... just relaying the fact the OP is clearly not an electrician, the manner of your comment POST 6 give a suggestion to OP to just go ahead and do it just because everyone else does, then your next post expresses 90% will go ahead and do it regardless of our advice.. well that may be so but its not an excuse to ive poor advice, we are here to assist where we can and explain the bounderies when needed when ask a question, if you feel your getting shot down all the time then maybe you need to look at the contents of your posts and not cry victim, if you dont understand what this forum is about sit back and read through various threads or dont bother at all, youll find anyone else including myself will get shot down for crap advice but just take it on the chin and hold your hands up too it like most do.

Totally fair comment mate. - sometimes best for me not to give advice. only watch and smile :)

Totally fair comment mate. - sometimes best not to give advice. only watch and smile :)
Wasn't having a dig Shocking_eg was trying to give constructive advice and was a little supprised by your response it seemed a bit snappy and short tempered but glad to see this comment and that we haven't made you bail ship :)

Wasn't having a dig Shocking_eg was trying to give constructive advice and was a little supprised by your response it seemed a bit snappy and short tempered but glad to see this comment and that we haven't made you bail ship :)

I know, i didnt mean to !

sorry guys !

just felt like i was at fault - but i suppose i was encouraging DIY'ers - which isnt good ! lol

It has absolutely nothing to do with keyboard arguments, it's a judgement call on where you think the OP's level of experience lay, if an electrician had posted that the reply I would suspect have been very different, because in my mind he is canvassing opinion on the best way to extend it, in full knowledge that he will, IR it,R1 R2 it,Zs it and check the disconnection times, and guess what I bet he wont touch it until he checks the main E Bond,advice isn't one size fits all I'm afraid.
J

Reply to Extending 10mm shower cable in the loft ?? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock