Discuss Extending a 6mm cooker point in 2.5 T & E in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

Octopus

As the title says. Customer wants 2 extra sockets added in their kitchen and there is a redundant cooker point "available" on a 32A breaker.

Using 2.5mm T & E to add the extra sockets, I'd drop the breaker to a 20A MCB but a mate says no leave it as a 32A.

The extra cable run is 3 or 4 metres.

Over to you good people!

It's no different to spurring off a ring really. Use 4MM cable and keep the 32A MCB or 2.5MM and drop it to a 20A MCB.

Or if you're not doing it tell your mate to use 6MM and have a laugh when he tries to connect 2 6MM cables at the back of the socket.:goofy:

It's no different to spurring off a ring really. Use 4MM cable and keep the 32A MCB or 2.5MM and drop it to a 20A MCB.

Or if you're not doing it tell your mate to use 6MM and have a laugh when he tries to connect 2 6MM cables at the back of the socket.:goofy:

He wants 2 extra sockets, spurring off a ring would only be one socket.

Drop the MCB to 20A...

Just do a lollipop ring, in 2 1/2 mil,saves sizing down on the breaker.
Trouble with that, you'll have a ring with a radial, For testing R1 + R2 you'll be cross connecting the ring part at one of the sockets and then you would have to test at the other socket, then test at the breaker for R1 + R2. And then make sure it all complies LOL

A

As it's only a couple of sockets, treat it as a radial, and size the MCB to the lowest rated cable.
If using 2.5mm² 20A, if 4mm² 32A.
If there were to be lots of extra sockets, then I'd go for the lolipop in 2.5mm².

Depends what the sockets are for, but quickest most bombproof way would be extend as 4mm rad and leave the 32A breaker in place.
BTW 2.5mm in pucker conditions carries, tops 27.5A

Somewhere in the deep recess of my mind i thought you had to keep the same size cable all along its length, can't remember for the life of me. Any one else know?

Id say you can leave it on a 32A breaker as long as you making them two sockets into a ring. (which would be a complete waste of time). So yea 20A breaker I'd go with. Only advantage of making it a ring is that you could actually spur off if you wanted any extra sockets in future.

Id say you can leave it on a 32A breaker as long as you making them two sockets into a ring. (which would be a complete waste of time). So yea 20A breaker I'd go with. Only advantage of making it a ring is that you could actually spur off if you wanted any extra sockets in future.

Why is there a problem spurring of a radial? You are just extending the radial.... ;)

Cheapest way: Use 1mm T&E and keep the 32 MCB....
Or wet string... but make sure you take cash there and then cos its not so good when it dries out.

As the title says. Customer wants 2 extra sockets added in their kitchen and there is a redundant cooker point "available" on a 32A breaker.

Using 2.5mm T & E to add the extra sockets, I'd drop the breaker to a 20A MCB but a mate says no leave it as a 32A.

The extra cable run is 3 or 4 metres.

Over to you good people!

Sorry to sound dense here Murdoch, but who's job is this, yours or your mates?

Reply to Extending a 6mm cooker point in 2.5 T & E in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net