Discuss Extending a circuit to 17th edition in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

bluecallum

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

I am going to be extending a kitchen ring main circuit,looking at the consumer unit it is a old wylex fuse board that has in the past been updated to mcb's,so there is no rcd protection on any of the circuits,obviously the circuit i am going to be extending has to done by the 17th edition method,not being able to get rcbo's for this age of board,can someone please advise how this sitation can be solved.Thanks

Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
G

Grae79

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
split tails or install a submain to separate 2-way board with RCD/RCBO protection?

B

bluecallum

split tails or install a submain to separate 2-way board with rcd/rcbo protection?
thanks for that that is what i expected,i take it this has to be done for 17th edition

G

Grae79

good old 17th huh....the customers will love hearing "oh by the way the job's going to cost a shed-load more because of new regs blah blah blah..."

the cowboys are going to have a whale of a time undercutting us proper lecs by not installing any RCD's. yeee-haa!

E

EasyFox

Remove ring legs from old wylex cu ---> 6mm T/E from the existing 30/32A fuse going to --> small enclosure containing 30mA rcd --> reinstall ring legs to the load side of rcd.
Site the rcd next to the cu, cheap as chips only need to add £40 to the price of a job for materials.

S

slrichardson

Yep, i'd go with easyfox 's method. Done it myself in the past on bungalows with no rcd's on sockets

S

sparkyork

id give them the options... the above methods, or fit them a new board, half the time customers like to see something a bit more uptodate even if they arnt any better protected by it. plus is it the old old wylex with the wooden backing to it? if so then thats the fire risk excuse to definately fit a new board (extra £250 for ya!)

Reply to Extending a circuit to 17th edition in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Top Bottom