Discuss Extending a rising main? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Y

youraveragejoe

I am a mechanical engineer and has come across a rising main in a house which had been cut and joined using a crimped barrel connector. Common senses tells me this is against regs but i cant find anything specific which says it is not acceptable. What do people think?

Thanks

a pic. would be useful. is the joint sound and insulated?

DSCF9439 (Large).JPG

Insulation consisted of standard insulation tape wrapped around it. Image above shows earth joint but others are the same. No evidence of over heating or failure.

Thanks

If the crimps are properly insulated and properly secured useing the correct tool, then they should be ok. If done correctly, crimps are classed as a fixed/permanent connection.
Although there is no substitute for a continued/unbroken cable.

Just to add, I am talking about crimps in general.
obviousley heat shrink should be used. The pic doesn't show the L & N, so can't comment on them.

Jay

Last edited:
the pic only shows the earth cable being joined. mapart from the excess copper on show, that's acceptable. if either or both live conductors are jointed similarly, they should be covere with the appropriate colored heat shrink sleeving. bog standard insulation tape is verboten.

Apart from excess insulation being removed and that it should have been crimped twice rather than the once or that it has hasn't been provided with a suitable means of insulation, it shouldn't be a problem.

You won't find anything in any regulations about this type of connection being against anything, as it's an approved/recognised form of ''Permanent'' connection/joint!!!

but only if it's done right. better than a choc block, as i have found from time to time.

Anyone noticed the discolouration on the L conductor it looks like its been getting hot and assume the crimp is out of view for the L...... also agree the butt crimp should have been double crimped how on earth (no pun intended) does the cable expect to be properly gripped on both ends???

Anyone noticed the discolouration on the L conductor it looks like its been getting hot and assume the crimp is out of view for the L...... also agree the butt crimp should have been double crimped how on earth (no pun intended) does the cable expect to be properly gripped on both ends???

Never mind the discolouration of the L more to the point he has a really hairy thumb

sorry only joking I think that is light shining onto it or the flash off the camera as its looks ok a bit further down the cable

on my laptop the discolouration it lower down too ...i thought about light at first but the blue would also show same if so and you can clearly see light reflecting strongly of the black tape so its not shadowed it discoloured..

Can OP post a pic of Live crimp or a wider field view of joints

i don't have another photo at the moment but i think the discoloration is due to the lighting only as i checked it at the time and found no obvious discoloration.

Id be inclined to check it again ...you may be correct or it may be the fact the light level was poor and thats why you missed it but the camera flash has shown it up... .its only a minor discolouration but would be present both sides of joint with heat tranfer and the fact the earth is not crimped correctly would lead me to believe the same poor crimp method has been repeated on the other cores.... i take it when you say rising mains that is your terminology for these cables or in a trunking or suitable enclosure and are not run like we see them (single insulated)

I think amlu means generally!

I can't see how that joint is holding together.
I'd be using these for those joints.

Attachments

• HexCrimper.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 119
Actually may owe Amlu an apology .... looking closely there is a ratchet grip mark on the lower part of the crimp ... if this is a ratchet mark then the second crimp is on the other side out of view.....

Only the OP can confirm but if its been crimped once its a bad joint and may not survive a short circuit and if the other crimps are the same with one crimp they will be prone to overheating.

The cable is the main supply cable connecting the utility companies meter on the external wall to the domestic distribution board in the house.

I think what happened was that the cable was damaged at this point, the person cut out the damaged section, cut back the outer insulation, cut back a small section of the individual core insulation to allow for the crimp and then joined the cores, somewhat staggering the joints. They then wrapped each core in insulation tape and then wrapped the three cores together with more tape. No heat shrink, no conduit, no outer sleeve. The cable was running through the wooden structure of the house.

Thanks to everyone for the information, much appreciated.

Reply to Extending a rising main? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net