Discuss Extending/breaking into ring final circuit in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I need to install some extra sockets in a kitchen. It's a single story ex-commercial kitchen. All the wiring is in singles in steel trunking in the loft space, with drops through steel conduit to the various sockets and switches.

I want to install an additional 6 sockets under the worktop for fridge, freezer, washing machine, dishwasher etc.

I really don't want to chase in additional conduit as I don't have any tools for working with it, and hiding the conduit isn't important anyway as it will be hidden behind cupboards.

Can I break the ring in the loft, run singles in PVC conduit clipped to the wall, to the first new socket, loop through the other new sockets, then back up through the PVC and re-join the ring (so my new sockets are part of the ring).

This will mean 6 2.5mm cores in a 20mm conduit.

Is this OK and if not, what method is recommended?

As I said, what it looks like isn't important as it will be hidden.

Best call an Electrician in Phil, to advise what is required to add your extra socket outlets

I will get a sparky to connect it all - I just don't want to pay him to mess about in my roof space, access isn't great and it will be a bitch of a job.

I just wanted to get any conduit in place so when he turns up all he has to do is the actual electrical stuff

6 x 2.5 singles will go through a 20mm conduit easily unless there’s lots of bends.
Your new pvc conduit will have to be bushed into the trunking. Can’t have singles floating in air.

I would have to agree with Pete here and suggest getting an electrician to help design the extended circuit.
It may be that a separate ring circuit could be run just as easily for these new sockets

6 x 2.5 singles will go through a 20mm conduit easily unless there’s lots of bends.
Your new pvc conduit will have to be bushed into the trunking. Can’t have singles floating in air.

I would have to agree with Pete here and suggest getting an electrician to help design the extended circuit.
It may be that a separate ring circuit could be run just as easily for these new sockets

Yep obviously will need bushing into the trunking - that will be true even for a new circuit as the cables will just go through it to the DB instead of being spliced into the existing ring.

I will take advice on that obviously - I don't think it will overload a 32a ring but if he recommends a new ring/radial I still need to get out of the trunking down to socket level.

The question really was - will PVC conduit clipped to the wall with singles inside be 18th edition compliant regarding fireproof mounts? I understood that all new installs have to be collapse proof? Or is that still only escape routes (which this isn't)?

Your electrician is best placed to suggest routes for the conduit and suitable means of support.

plastic conduit with white metal saddles. doesn't matter on the vertical drops. where unfixed cables may cause a tangle hazard for fire crews
Theres also the argument of using plastic rawlplugs to fix these metal saddles.... as the rawlplug could melt and the saddles, pipe and cables all drop.

You said its ex-commercial? does that mean its now domestic? As other solutions other than conduit could be used

OK I'll see if I can get a friendly sparky to advise - easier says than done in the North Highlands.

Yes it's now domestic.

plastic conduit with white metal saddles. doesn't matter on the vertical drops. where unfixed cables may cause a tangle hazard for fire crews
Theres also the argument of using plastic rawlplugs to fix these metal saddles.... as the rawlplug could melt and the saddles, pipe and cables all drop.

You said its ex-commercial? does that mean its now domestic? As other solutions other than conduit could be used
Where in BS7671 is there an exception for vertical drops.

Reply to Extending/breaking into ring final circuit in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock