Discuss extending cat 6 in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I have to extend 6 CAT6. Cables that are being moved to a new cabnet, what is the best way of doing this? Are there junction box types for cat6? The neater the better but it will be above a false ceiling, I can't think of what to use never had to extend it before.

Thanks

I think as a general rule it shouldn't be joined.
But I've never yet had a joint fail when I've soldered and heatshrinked them. The important thing is to maintain the twists of the pairs and the separating divider through the joint

How many cables have you, you can get junction boxes although i've never had the luxury of using them, i have seen myself using a rj45 module and piggy backing both cables into one module it's not great but it works, i've also seen myself using strip connectors, i would not advise this i was sent to do it as a 2nd year apprentice by my boss who was too lazy to get proper junction box (i still regard this as the biggest botch job of my life)

Plugs / Boots and Connectors : Cat6 Cable Connection Box - Black

I used v similar from rs components to extend some cat 5e to a new position loads of times
these will do the trick.

Get yourself a Krone backmount or profile frame and use 3 krone cat 6 highband modules , each module takes 2 cables and will maintain the cable performance. Doing it this way is classed as a consolidation point and perfectly acceptable.
A lot of large office fit outs use CP's dotted around with a patch panels worth of cables (24) terminated in them so that future additional points are easily added and you dont have to go all the way back to a busy comms room.
Hope this helps you out.

Reply to extending cat 6 in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock